Plastic surgery for skin removal

Bobie M.
on 6/8/12 2:13 am - Madison, WI
RNY on 12/08/10 with
I'm almost 18 months out and nearing my goal weight.  I'm almost 1/2 the weight I was when I started this journey and I thank God for it every day.  Last week I had a free consultation with a plastic surgeon.  They are going to try to submit for insurance approval, but basically said it was very unlikely.  I turn 30 this summer and have never had a body without things that hang and jiggle and flop.  I really want the surgery, but I feel it's selfish to take out loans or try to pay out of our savings for something like this.  Should I try for a reality tv show?  Does anyone have any advice on this?

My husband is totally supportive of whatever I want to do.  He was with me at the consultation and now we continue to lift and pinch the same areas the doctor did to see what it would look like.  We're dorks like that.  The dr recommended 3 surgeries.  First, a circumferential body life, then arms and breasts, then inner thighs last. 
MyLady Heidi
on 6/8/12 3:28 am
Last I checked you only live once, try to do it with no regrets.  It's a personal decision based on your goals and desires for the future.  I would get the surgery in a heartbeat if I were you.  I wish I had it at 30 and not 40+.
jlyn412
on 6/8/12 3:33 am - Atlanta, GA

A lot of us have the feelings of selfishness for spending so much money on ourselves. It is definitely a very personal decision. Just remember, (and I say this to myself all the time and have posted it on here as well) that you had the first surgery for your physical health and clearly you feel it was worth it, this one is for your mental health which is just as important. It's just too bad that insurance companies don't recognize this.

TT/TL/AL/BL with Aug 6/15/2012! Looking good so far!

godzilla
on 6/8/12 4:07 am - Israel
My TT was considered medically necessity and I paid nothing on my HMO (in Israel it is similar to NHS of England). Having rashes under my belly that wouldn't heal with various creams and numerous daily showers makes a plastic surgery a medical necessity.
I wrote you on the other Board.
Mikimi in Israel
KeepOn
on 6/8/12 5:15 am
I totally understand your feelings with regards to the financing. I'm in the same boat . I  have come to the conclusion that there is only a certain amount of money that I would feel comfortable borrowing without having a constant nagging in the back of my mind saying " I can't believe your in debt this much for body improvements". The rest of the money needed for surgery,  I will save up.  The amount to which I really want these procedures will make me diligent in my saving money.  When thinking of buying something cause I'd "like to have it" I'll ask myself  "would you rather have the money for surgery or this item?"  I'll be more aware of how I spend every penny and how can I save money.  I will most likely have to do without and surely have to pass on somethings I'd surely WANT. But in the long run it will be worth it.

With all that said, it is up to you to be comfortable with this decision and not put yourself in a position of regret.  YOU can do this, you just need to think it through, make a plan and stick with it.

P.S Having your husband's input and support is a good thing since he will be effected by your decisions..... don't want to drive each other apart over money saving strategies.

Best of luck to you !!!
Crazeru
on 6/8/12 5:45 am
Have you checked into Dr Sauceda?  He's very affordable and is an artist.  You received 24/7 care in the clini****il you can return to the Hampton Inn and Dr S and his nurse stops by daily when you are at the hotel.  Dr S wants you to email hime every 24 to 48 hrs when you get home.  He will combine all the procedures and do them at one time with an epidural and twilight sedation.  Click on Dr Sauceda in my siggy line and it'll take you over the group here on OH.  Three ladies are down there now.  One had surgery yesterday, he's in surgery today, and another tomorrow. 

The other option would be through a residency program.  If you look back a few months, someone here posted about several residency program.

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

Laura in Texas
on 6/8/12 7:22 am
You have to decide if you can live with it or not. I'm a single mom of 2 (with no baby-daddy) and basically live paycheck to paycheck. If I can do it, anyone can.

I've lost over 200 pounds. Under my clothes, I was a complete mess, but in shapewear I looked decent. My boyfriend loved me "as-is" and did not want me to have surgery. I told him I had to do it for my mental health. He relented. After I had recovered (pain meds puts me in a whole different category of crazy- my poor bf), he finally agreed that I was right. He could tell a huge improvement in my mental health. Now I'd love to get implants and my thighs done, but he says "no". We'll see about that 

Laura

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Most Active