Swelling (Confused)

Kelly_W
on 7/12/12 3:37 am - Barstow, CA
I am 4 wks out from having lbl... and have had no issues...but the last two days I am swelling so bad it hurts.  When I swell up it gets so tight I feel like my scar/incision is going to pop open!  Any suggestions???  Has anyone else been like this..everything going perfect and then a hiccup?  Is it anything to worry about?
Pupcake !.
on 7/12/12 5:43 am - Stranded in, IA

Are you still wearing your compression garmets?  I wore mine for about 6 mos it seems- it just made me feel more "together"

Is it hot where you are- heat can cause swelling.  Are you eating saltier foods?

Is the swelling all over?

Does it go away in the morning?

On the other hand when I was 2 weeks out one side of my TT suddenly swelled out 1" further than the non-op area.  I started running a fever.   It ended up that I had a bleed under the flap and had to have another surgery to remove a 1L blood clot.

Some swelling is normal- I swelled for at least 2-3 mos.  But if it is uneven, doesn't go away at night, or shows any signs of infection call your doc.

Good luck-

Pup

No surgery has been harmed/defamed by the writer of this post.  
RNY 10/28/03 305# 8/11/04 147#  9 years out and >75% EWL!

Lee ~
on 7/12/12 8:29 am - CA
Most people experience some level of swelling.  If you are having fever or other signs of infection, please contact your surgeon.  Pup posted many good questions about heat/sodium etc.  I watched my sodium very carefully after my body work was done in December.  I ate a lot of watermelon and papaya to help my body release fluids.  I wore compression garments 24/7 for 6 weeks, then work flexee garments for a few weeks.  Walking some also helps keep the blood circulating, just don't overdo it.

I hope you feel better!!

HW: 249   SW: 229 GW: 149 Age: 63 - Body by Sauceda - 12/2011

Kelly W.
on 7/12/12 1:49 pm - WA
 Thank you ladies....I went to the doctor...they said some swelling is expected.  Told me I am probably over doing it a little...slow down and basically what you both said...watch salt in take etc.  
Thanks a bunch
Happy Girl
on 7/12/12 8:18 pm - CA
Also eat fresh pineapple.it is supposed to help a lot with swelling.

5'6"
  Dr.  Gregg Jossart  

Most Active