7 week check up - revision & possible anchor cut - need nutrition info too

Patricia R.
on 7/17/12 7:36 am - New Oxford, PA

Some of you may remember me from a few of my other postings.  I had pictures up but took them down as I felt awkward about it.  Some comments were made about my surgery/results and I felt criticized.............although I know that was no one's intention. 

Okay so anyways, my story.  I went to the Unv of Maryland and had one of their chief residents do my surgery at a fraction of the cost.  Yes, they are students but are supervised the entire time.  Their doctors rotate every 3 months so I saw a different doc today rather then the one that did my surgery.  My left arm will need a revision.  I talked to the surgical coordinator and she told me that they will ask the hospital to waive all fees.  This includes anesthesia.  She said they never had a problem with this before so their should be nothing out of pocket for me.  As for my abdomen, that will require a whole new procedure.  I had the circumferential lift and it pulled the skin down.  But I have a good bit of laxity and a skin fold that folds into the middle of my stomach.  This would probably require an anchor cut to remove all of it.  I still need to wait 6 months post op before anything would be done but at this point that is what he sees.  He explained to me that this was not done before as they could not remove the fat off my back and the stomach by doing an anchor cut as you run the risk of ripping one or the other or both open.  As you can't bend over and can't stand up straight either.  So it makes sense to me.  Revising the circumferential lift will not take care of my stomach issues. 

Now for the nutrition info needed.  He told me that I would need to be in tip-top shape to have this done.  He said with having the vertical incision and having the gastric bypass, it puts me at a higher risk for problems with healing.  I didn't have any problems with the lift surgery so not sure why I would have problems healing with this.  But I'll go with it.  I had my gastric bypass 6 years ago and don't do the protein drinks or bars anymore.  I only take a multi vitamin.  I haven't taken the additional calcium, b12 or anything like that in about 4 years.  My blood work has always been great with the exception of anemia during my pregnancies.  But otherwise great.  So I'm asking other members what supplements do you take, what protein do you take in and any recommendations you might have?  How did you prepare your body for plastics?      

EthelMae
on 7/17/12 7:53 am - MD
I sent you an e-mail.

Let's chat.

~Barb
Highest - 279 (08/2009)     Program Weight - 256 (03/10)  Surgery Weight - 232 (05/24/11)     

Laura in Texas
on 7/17/12 8:06 am
Please make sure you know EXACTLY what they are doing to you this time. You seemed very disappointed in your results from your last round and I'm sure you do not want to be disappointed again.

Are you sure your results are "great"? Do you know what your levels are and in what part of the range they are in? Just having a doctor tell you they are "great" is not good enough.

Here are a couple good blog posts:

http://pamtremble.blogspot.com/2008/10/labwork-recommendatio ns-after-wls.html

http://pamtremble.blogspot.com/2008/09/nutrition-guidelines- from-asmbs.html

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Patricia R.
on 7/17/12 9:08 am - New Oxford, PA
My blood work has all been within normal range.  Without actually pulling out the papers and looking I can't say for sure what the numbers are but I recall them being within the normal range. 

Thanks for the info.

godzilla
on 7/17/12 1:17 pm - Israel
Well it it sounds like you have your blood results so that is a start - but within range and great can be a far cry from one another.keep track either in a file or use Excell for all your blood results.
Multivitamin, CaCitrate 500-600mg 3-4 times a day spaced out and at least two hours apart from Fe. Fe with vitC ( for absorption) once a day but two hours away from Ca, dairy and eggs. B12 whenever, D3,Zinc? These are what I try to follow and I still use protein powder to make a large drink almost every morning in my Blender Bottle. My Rny was 3Feb,08.
Often I feel so fat still after my TT but that is mainly because I had TT according to what my HMO was willing to pay so it was only panniculectomy and soon I'm to have BL/BR so I hope I'll be happier with my body after that surgery. As I don't have extra money and have to survive on that my HMO will permit me to docwitjout any extra expenses this is what I got and it is for me a far better bodily situation than it was when I was morbidly obese and belly hanging and flapping.
Good luck and I hope you will feel more accepting of how your body looks after your next surgery.
Mikimi in Israel
dani02
on 7/17/12 7:45 pm - Utica, MI
I increased my protien to atleast 100 grams a day. Upped my water intake.
Also Did a 30 minute pilates routine 6 days a week. Ate clean foods.
As organic as possiple. Took 5,000iu of dry vitamin d3 in addition to my
specific bariatric multi vitamin. And meditated. I believe that I was in the
best shape of my life when I had my Tummy and Arms done. My healing
was quick and uneventful. (blessed).
Go into this with a really positive attitude and positve eating and exercise.

You are gonna do great.

Dani
ahansil
on 7/19/12 8:17 am - Hackensack, NJ
RNY on 05/18/09 with
 Hi Patricia,
I do remember your first post and I'm sorry you felt critisized.  I think many of us on here are used to seeing the same techniques used over and over and seeing a different one is hard to imagine the end result.  I'm happy that they are working with you on the revision of your arm. I remember that was one of the things you were not happy with.

As for your nutrition, I think you should definetly get back to at least the minimums required after the RNY and you should add at least add one protein shake a day to your normal diet.  It's always better to be on the high end of the scale that be on the low end of the scale.  Your body takes a lot when it is healing and it will only help.

Good Luck and please post pics after say 3 months, which will show better end results.

Alex

Most Active