Stupid Question

hrford
on 7/25/12 8:12 pm
VSG on 03/19/12
 So I've been terrified to take my shower this morning.  I woke up went to do it and I just can't bring myself to remove all the bandages.  I know they said I should take a shower today and to remove everything but I'm worried about removing all the plastic over the bandages, like I'll open up the wounds.  It's safe right, they meant to take off all banadages?  I'm of course going to call my Dr. but I'm sitting here wanting to take a shower but terrified to take off the dressing.

HW: 270 SW: 234.4 CW: 135.0 1stGW:149 (GOAL MET)afreshstart-hreneeh.blogspot.com/
1st 5k: 5/12/12 44:55  PR 4miles: 12/31/2012 35:49

dani02
on 7/25/12 10:12 pm - Utica, MI
It is very scary. But you will feel so much better after that shower.
You can do this. You are not alone.

Dani
Anne D.
on 7/26/12 12:18 am
I was told take off all the bandages, just don't pull off the paper tape, it will eventually fall off on it's own. You will feel so much better after a shower too!

ToBeAble
on 7/26/12 2:16 am
I hear you.

I'm 11 days out from TT/Thigh lift and I do so much better with the compression garment on -- at least that way I can't SEE any of the incisions (medical stuff freaks me out!)

What has worked best for me: Take the shower process really slow. Uncover the incisions (or whatever the doc told you to do), then lie down for a few minutes until you feel okay to get in the shower. If you can, sit on a stool in the shower, so even if you feel lightheaded or queasy (I had a lot of anxiety issues the first time), you'll be safe. And then lie down again for a little while as soon as you get out of the shower and before you start to dress. (And definitely have someone there to help you.) It's such a mental game at this stage -- but the shower will definitely feel good!

All the best,

Laura

RNY 7/30/10  SW 302/CW ~150/First Goal 155 (reached 9/2011)
Extended TT & Medial Thigh Lift 7/16/12.  Arms, Butt Lift 2/6/13. 

hrford
on 7/26/12 4:51 am
VSG on 03/19/12
 I did it.  It was NOT fun but I did it.  The worst was taking all the bandages off.  The adhesive was really strong and it HURT!  I felt light headed so I layed down (as suggested) before taking the actual shower.  The actual shower wasn't bad but I felt nauseous and light headed from bandage removal so I just quickly did I what I needed then got out and layed down again. 

Who knew it'd be such a process.  I will definitely make sure all my soap and stuff is somewhere more accessible the next time as that was a pain.  But I do feel better.  I looked at my breasts and they are very frankenstein and small, but I know they will look weird now so I'm hoping they aren't quite as small as they look.  I love how perky they are though.

HW: 270 SW: 234.4 CW: 135.0 1stGW:149 (GOAL MET)afreshstart-hreneeh.blogspot.com/
1st 5k: 5/12/12 44:55  PR 4miles: 12/31/2012 35:49

ToBeAble
on 7/26/12 1:06 pm
 Yay! Glad you got through it!
sherry R.
on 7/29/12 2:16 pm
 that sounded scary glad you made it through.. have a family member next time hang out near the bathroom your showering in and talk to them and them to you.. Makes me feel alittle easier that someone is close by in the shower. a friend of mine had a different surgery not ps and  took a shower by herself at home. she got lightheaded and fell in the shower and hit her head.. thank Goodness that her next door neighbor heard the bump while she was in her bathroom  ( they live in apartments) and finally went over to see if everything was ok.. when she didnt get an answer she called the police.. my friend got out with a head concussion and some minor swelling
Your faith is stronger than you think.  - my Mom
Weight: initial-320, , surgery- 291.2 now -205 had baby july 1, 2011 Regained to 242 (due to unemployment)  t goal weight _ what ever it ends at.
Most Active