veritcal incision on tummy tuck

Jamie Z.
on 8/15/12 3:44 pm - MI
I had my consult with Dr. DiNIck today and he is recommending the tummy tuck with a veritcal incision.  I am fidning lots of pics of other surgeons without the long veritical scar and great results. 

Has anyone had a veritcal incision along with the horizontal hip to hip?  I don't have a ton to remove, but enough where it would be the icing on the cake for me.

Also, looking for a second opinion, reccomendations would be great.  I think I would like someone a little closer to the Royal Oak area.

Patricia R.
on 8/15/12 3:58 pm - New Oxford, PA
Depends on the person.  Some people have more skin laxity that comes from the sides and meets in the middle (so to speak).  I had a belt lipectomy and it only pulled the stuff down but did nothing for the loose skin sideways.  I had that and a arm lift done at the same time.  Now that they see my results they realize I will need a second surgery that pulls everything in from the sides, thus needing a vertical incision.  They are telling me that I would have needed the 2 part surgery anyways.  They would not have done the belt and the anchor cut (vertical incision) at the same time.  Good luck to you.
princesspopnfresh2
on 8/15/12 6:44 pm

I had the vertical incision and the full circumfrential body lift. I was assured that by going with the vertical incision it would address the upper abdomen issues. It did address some of it but frankly it left more skin than I would have liked and now I am not happy with my results at all. I have a totally flat lower abdomen and a second set of breasts. Don't know if it is my surgeon's skill or just that I had a lot of upper skin but if I were to do it again I would not go with the vertical. If you don't have a lot of skin it might be fine. I had a lot. He said it was a pretty unusual case.

Hw 348/sw 306/  
Lizzy25
on 8/15/12 8:40 pm
I had the vertical and horizontal incision, and I'm thrilled with the results. Some people don't have a lot of skin in the horizontal direction, they only have skin that hangs down vertically. I have pics in my album (friend me if you need to, go look), when I bent over at the waist I had a whole roll of skin that hung down above my bellybutton. It would have been hard to address with just the regular tummy tuck incision, it would've been pulled down but would still have been loose. So when you bend over, do you have skin that hangs down above the bellybutton?

Yes it's another scar. But I'm not a bikini person anyway, and my waist is absolutely tiny now. I was sick of the extra skin.

I don't know how much extra skin you have. If it truly isn't that much, then maybe you'd be happier with just the traditional incision. You can compare your 'before' with my 'before', I didn't have a whole lot of skin either, it ended up being under 3 pounds total. But now I have ab definition and I'm very very happy.

definitely get a second opinion. I saw 3 different surgeons for opinions, they all agreed that the vertical incision would give me the best result.
"The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." -Bertrand Russell
5'9 HW: 297 GW: 160 CW: 161
sharonleanne
on 8/16/12 6:10 am
Im having the vertical and horizontal incision. I have tons of excess skin above my belly button and had open RNY so I already have a large scar. I saw several PS and Dr. Katzen was the only one to suggest this procedure, but when he folded all my skin in to show me what my tummy would look like after surgery I was sold. It was shocking to see the hour glass figure on my body. It is an extra scar though so if that really bugs you you might want to entertain other options.

Our bodies are all different that's why its so important to research and go to many consults.I hated the consultation process and stripping down in front of stranger's (never even let my hubby see me naked) but glad I did them. I had a few tell me it wasn't necessary to do the inverted t procedure, but they also told me I would still have lots of skin. WTH would be the point?

I wish you lots of luck!!!!! Sounds like your on track and doing lots of research.
Tess145
on 8/16/12 7:10 am - Senatobia, MS
 I had the FDL TT (vertical and horizontal) and I definitely do not regret it.  I had the complication of having to have hernia surgery with it and that being said, I will have to have some revision surgery to finish tightening everything completely up (my time ran out after 6 1/2 hours of surgery).  I was already going to have the butt lift and thigh lift to finish out the LBL and my surgeon with do a complete revision on any dog tags (drooping skin on the sides) we did not get to extend the lower TT as far as it needed to go.  If I decide to do a breast lift, we will wait and do the upper (vertical) revision at that time.  Best of luck to you.

Tess

Starting Wt 306; Losing Wt 155; Goal Wt 145: Regain Wt 225; Current Wt 157
PS:  FDL Tummy Tuck, Hernia Repair 5/17/12, TT Revision, Butt and Thigh Lift 4/18/13

Iam_with_the_Band
on 8/16/12 8:45 am
I had the Anchor Cut TT with my LBL and I love it!  Yes, I have a scar down the middle of my tummy, but my tummy is flat all the way up and I have a defined waist.  I feel it is worth it!

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

Laura in Texas
on 8/17/12 7:35 am
Some surgeons, like mine, can get excellent results without the vertical incision. I have lost over 200 pounds. I had tons of loose skin around my middle. I did not get the fleur de lis, just a lower body lift. I think my results are pretty damn amazing. I like showing off my belly so I am happy I do not have the scar. It might have been nice to have a 25" waist as opposed to the 27" one I have now, but ce la vie.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Iam_with_the_Band
on 8/17/12 4:01 pm
Laura, I think part of it is your body!  You, My Dear, have almost no fat left!  I have seen many who had only the TT and didn't get such a sweet result as yours.  The PS is the only one who can really tell you if they think an Anchor Cut is best. 

Enjoy that 27 inch waist, Skinny Minny!

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

Pupcake !.
on 8/18/12 10:09 am - Stranded in, IA
 I only had a TT as well and had a wonderful result. 

But like Laura I didn't have any fat left, just hanging skin.   I could grab a handful and pull out and pinch about 3/4".

Just lucky I guess.

Even with regain it looks good.

Pup

No surgery has been harmed/defamed by the writer of this post.  
RNY 10/28/03 305# 8/11/04 147#  9 years out and >75% EWL!

Most Active