Question about post operative blues

SweetLilyAnn
on 11/1/12 8:01 pm - TX

Hi everyone:  I am having a LBL/BL on Tuesday.  I am very excited and have a wonderful doctor.  I am on anti-depressant to assist me in dealing with the death of my parents.  I am doing really good emotionally and physically,  My doctor mentioned to me that I should call my therapist and tell him that I am having surgery b/c he said that sometimes people get post surgery blues and depressed.  Have any of you been afflicted with post-surgery depression or sadness?  Could you please describe how you dealt with your recovery emotionally and then if you had to deal with depressive moods?  Just curious.

I will be in the hospital on my 1 yr anniversary of my lovely mom's death, so I am worried about that setting me back a little. But ot I would love to hear your stories and experiences.  Thank you in advance for your responses. 

HW: 328   GW: 164  CW: 159  Height - 5' 8"  
GOAL REACHED 12/15/2012!!!!!!!!!

RNY Surgery Date:  6/21/11  
LBL/BL  - 11/6/2012 Arm Lift with Abdominal Lipo - 12/11/2012 - Dr. Paul PIn
Love me without restriction, trust me without fear, want me without demand and accept me for who I am.         - unknown - 

kipz303
on 11/2/12 11:49 am

I just got home from my LBL last night, had my surgery on monday.  I get depressed off and on and emotional situations tend to set it off more than anything else.  Tuesday, the first time the nurses tried to get me up and moving around, I darn near cried and yelled at the poor ladies asking why they were being so mean and did they even understand that I had stitches all the way around and up my body and practically begged them to leave me alone until my doctor came in.  I thought I had THE worst care ever possible. Apparently PMS and morphine do that to me...they were only doing their job and following what my surgeon had asked them to do. (aside from one removing my binder and not tightening it back properly)

After I got to moving around a little and could have at least liquids, the depressive state started to discipate. I Think once you start to see that things do get better, your mood will start to improve. Take a few things with you that make you happy. Maybe some music or a picture, a favorite pillow even. (My hospital lets you bring your own if you want, you just have to agree to let them put a sanitary pillow cover on it.

RNY - August 13, 2010

LBL - October 29, 2012

a total of 271 lbs lost!!

SweetLilyAnn
on 11/2/12 2:36 pm - TX
Thank you for the info. Bless ur heart, that PMS/morphine combo does not sound fund. Are u on ur period now? I am about to start and surgery is in 3ish days. Any advice on handling with that huge incision? BTW, you look AMAZING. JUST STUNNING RESULTS!!!!

HW: 328   GW: 164  CW: 159  Height - 5' 8"  
GOAL REACHED 12/15/2012!!!!!!!!!

RNY Surgery Date:  6/21/11  
LBL/BL  - 11/6/2012 Arm Lift with Abdominal Lipo - 12/11/2012 - Dr. Paul PIn
Love me without restriction, trust me without fear, want me without demand and accept me for who I am.         - unknown - 

kipz303
on 11/2/12 4:35 pm

Actually I had really nice nurses - I went into surgery with a tampon because I have OCD (obsessive compulisive disorder) and I just cant fathom the idea of not being covered. Anyways, when I came out of surgery they had me in my abdominal binder all cinched up with bandages and my gorgeous always pad.  It was a bit embarrasing but the nurses took care of it until I was able to  get up and go to the bathroom on my own.  

Don't worry, the nurses are there to help you and they're not gonna just leave you hanging or messy.  I was so scared of the pain and I'm actually not in that much pain...my surgeon used so much numbing medication (on purpose) that he said I should be numb for about 2 weeks and the first feelings I will get in my incisions will be the itching sensation of the healing process.

RNY - August 13, 2010

LBL - October 29, 2012

a total of 271 lbs lost!!

Laura in Texas
on 11/2/12 9:58 pm

My biggest issue was that I went stir crazy. I was used to always being on the go and taking it easy and not doing too much drove me insane. But I knew it was for the best and got through it.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Most Active