Anthem BCBS/Indiana for Medically Necessary Thighplasty?

JazzyOne9254
on 2/3/13 1:55 am

The surgeon I have chosen to remove 15-20 pounds ( Dr. estimate) of fat deposits and loose skin on my thighs only deals with Anthem BCBS.  I am on disabilty, so the once a year open enrollment does not apply to me, and I plan to switch for the surgery.    I have insurance through AARP. Has anybody dealt with Anthem for coverage of skin removal that is medically necessary?

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

Lesley G.
on 2/3/13 10:16 pm - Allegan, MI

Yes, I just dealt with Anthem (Empire Blue Cross of NY) and they covered my thighplasty in full. I had a similar amount of tissue that had to be removed. The surgeon sent the pictures and documentation from my primary doctor and dermatologist and it was approved on the first try. I suggest searching the website for your plan and finding out if they do cover it on your specific plan, and going from there. Anthem/BCBS also covered my arm lift and breast reduction, and last year they covered my panni + muscle tightening. They've been great to me, but from what I understand it all depends on which plan you're on. Good luck!

JazzyOne9254
on 2/9/13 1:34 pm, edited 2/9/13 1:34 pm

That's my problem.  I was put in the wrong BCBS plan when I switched, and just got it straightened out!  The plastics guy here is not much in terms of bedside manner, and the vibe I get is that he's not thrilled to be doing it.  It's almost the same vibe I used to get from doctors when I was SMO!

I may have to go looking for another surgeon elsewhere.

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

Most Active