Paying the hospital - question

Cinn
on 4/10/13 3:15 am - MI

My surgeon is requiring the full balance of my surgery costs at my pre-op visit a week beforehand.

He said the hospital might make me pay it's costs before I leave after my surgery. Anyone have to do this? I've never heard of that. I thought they always bill you? Just curious.

RNY: 9/3/2008     LBL: 6/5/2013

Vicki D.
on 4/10/13 4:11 am - Sweet Home, OR

Our local hospital required payment in full prior to having any elective surgery that wasn't covered by insurance.  So, I found a PS that would do my TT in his surgery suite so I didn't have the hospital charges, I wouldn't have been able to have it.  My PS also required payment in full one week prior to surgery :).

Vicki D.
exohexoh
on 4/10/13 4:23 am - West Chester, PA

i have to pay everything in full i think 2 weeks pre-op

<3 jen <3

<3 starting weight: 252 <3 goal weight: 135 <3 current weight: 151 <3

RNY: 9/27/10 <3 Extended Tummy Tuck w/hip & thigh lipo: 6/6/13

jeterway
on 4/10/13 5:02 am
When it's elective, my hospital wants full payment prior to surgery. I guess they don't want to be chasing down individuals afterwards. No money, no surgery makes it a whole lot easier on them.

kathkeb
on 4/11/13 9:59 am

I had to 

pay the surgeon a week before surgery and I had to pay the surgical center the day of surgery BEFORE the procedure.

They

Would not bill me.

I put it on a card so if pull get the reward points.

Kath

P. Poster
on 4/11/13 10:02 am

Surgeon requires payment in full 10 days prior, the hospital requires payment in full 8 days prior for me.  

Laura in Texas
on 4/11/13 10:19 am

For both of my plastics rounds I paid the surgical center ahead of time. I'm sure it is the norm these days. And my time in the OR was longer than expected so I had to pay more before I left.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Cinn
on 4/12/13 4:34 am - MI

Thanks everyone. Well, I guess that's standard procedure for elective surgery then.

I wonder if someone from the hospital will call me beforehand for the payment or if I'll receive a bill....or if they'll just take it the day I'm admitted. Just want to be prepared. I guess I should call them.

RNY: 9/3/2008     LBL: 6/5/2013

Most Active