Silicone Dressings

Megan M.
on 7/22/13 3:29 am - Canada

First post on the plastics forum!  I am having abdominoplasty on August 2 in Toronto.  I have been reading about silicone dressings that some of you recommend, but when I asked my local pharmacist about them, they drew a blank.  Could you please give me more info on these dressings.  They were also mentioned in my doctor's notes, but no details were provided other than that they would be used starting a few weeks post surgery.  Much appreciated.

ps. Getting a little nervous!

Had RNY surgery July 22/11, St. Joe's Hamilton, with the awesome Dr. Scott Gmora.  Had abdominoplasty August 2/13, Scarborough, with equally awesome Dr. Michael Kreidstein.

emelar
on 7/22/13 5:22 am - TX

My PS provided what I needed.  It's a sheet of flat silicone that they cut into strips to adhere to your body/incision line.  Your pharmacist might be more familiar with them as a treatment for burns. 

jeterway
on 7/22/13 5:29 am
I never found them in a store. I bought what I needed on line at amazons. I was only using small pieces for very specific areas.

Megan M.
on 7/22/13 5:43 am - Canada

That helps.  Thanks for the info.

Had RNY surgery July 22/11, St. Joe's Hamilton, with the awesome Dr. Scott Gmora.  Had abdominoplasty August 2/13, Scarborough, with equally awesome Dr. Michael Kreidstein.

Jennifer D.
on 7/22/13 6:13 am - Wareham, MA
RNY on 06/15/12

7/30 for me.  I'm with you in the nervous boat!

I looked around and read for a while... settled on the gelzone wrap (though not from amazon as many of the reviewers there thought the one from amazon was not authentic).  I got mine at ContourMD since I got enough to get free shipping.

I picked the gelzone wrap instead of just a sheet because I thought it would stay on better.  It just came in the mail today.  The instructions in the package say to wear 12-24 hours a day for 8-12 weeks.  Also ordered some ScarFx anchors for my BA... they are also silicone and say up to 12 hours a day after skin has "completely healed".  No expert here, just sharing what I discovered :)

Good Luck!

Band #1... 2006 Band #2 (revision) 2008 RNY 6/15/12 (revision).    Third time is the charm!  7/30/13 BL/TT/Thigh Lipo.  THE END!!!

MyBariatricLife
on 7/22/13 6:43 am

That is great to know about the product on amazon. I have the Gelzone wrap and it worked well. I like the compression it provided. It also is thought to help lymphatic drainage. I lost 2 inches the first two days that I wore it on my lower abdomen. Did you read that you have to wrap it around your body 1.5 times?

Good luck on 7-30!!!! I am very excited for you!

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

MyBariatricLife
on 7/22/13 6:55 am

Congrats on your tummy tuck. I like the Gelzone wrap but I find that after 5 weeks of heavy use some of the silicon is coming off. I have to pick it off my body. That said, I still really liked the product. Good luck with your surgery!

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

Most Active