Cosmetic Insurance?

MyBariatricLife
on 9/7/13 9:37 pm

H anyone purchased or know if cosmetic insurance is a good investment for body contouring? I was considering getting it if it is not a waste of money.

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

Mary131
on 9/9/13 12:30 am

Are you talking about if complications should arise?  Wouldn't your surgeon take care of that through his/her own liability insurance?

MyBariatricLife
on 9/9/13 7:32 am

I do not know of any surgeon who covers the cost of addressing complications. My surgeon does not charge for his fees in these cases but the hospital does. A complication is not necessarily the fault of the doctor but rather something that can happen, and sometimes does. Malpractice insurance is for negligence. And, frankly, good luck winning a malpractice case in court.

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

jeterway
on 9/9/13 12:40 am

I would think that your surgeons insurance would only kick in if there was a determination that the complication was his/her fault.  When you have elective surgery, any costs related to a complication are on the patient.  Prior to surgery, they will have you sign a statement that you understand that this is the case.

I don't know of any insurance that you can buy to cover the cost of the body contouring.  I have heard that there is insurance that you can buy in the event of complications but I have not researched it at all.

MyBariatricLife
on 9/9/13 7:34 am

"there is insurance that you can buy in the event of complications"

Yes, that is what I am talking about.

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

jeterway
on 9/9/13 7:55 am

I vaguely remember reading something on this board about it a long time ago.  Perhaps back when I was starting my PS journey.  I seem to recall that it was something that the practice made available to purchase.  I don't know if it is something that is available on the general market. 

MyBariatricLife
on 9/9/13 8:48 am

You are right http://cosmetassure.com/Patients The practice has to be participating. I thought it was something that I could buy on my own.

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

MyBariatricLife
on 9/18/13 6:43 am

I would never have surgery outside the country.

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

jeterway
on 9/9/13 10:04 am

Google is a wonderful thing.  LOL.  You and I googled the same thing.  I checked the Philadelphia area which has several large hospitals and only one doctor that practices in center city showed up.  Sounds like this idea hasn't quite caught on yet.

JoAnn

Most Active