Blood Clot in Leg and 1 in Each Lung 4 days Post Tummy Tuck

mrschriscross
on 10/15/13 12:00 am - Oswego, NY

I had an extended Tummy Tuck on 10-9 and it was done out patient through the doctors surgical suite., My foot began bothering me on thursday and i treated it like it was a pulled muscle in my foot or something but when it kept getting worse i decided to go to the Er and get checked out. It turns out I have a blood clot in my leg and was admitted to the hospital. The next morning the hospitalist sent me for a CT Scan of my Chest and it came back showing I had a clot in each one of my lungs. I am so scared but was wondering if this has happened to anyone else?? .I will be in the Hospital for a few more days as they are currently giving me heparin and once they get my levels right will start me on coumadin.

Feel Free to Add Me on FACEBOOK just search for my name Angela Cross or [email protected]  Also if you could put you are from OH in the request it would help. Thanks :)

HW / SW / CW / GW
320 / 305 / 213 / 185   Updated 3-27-11

Supergirl7877
on 10/15/13 12:54 am
Gosh! How scary! I don't have any personal experience with blood clots but I had to be on Coumadin after my surgery due to my dad and his dad having history of blood clots. Watch those vitamin K rich foods...you will have to be mindful of them until you are off the thinners.

So glad you got to the ER!!!
Laura in Texas
on 10/15/13 1:19 am

Oh no!! It did not happen to me but I have heard of others who have gone through the same thing.

Prayers for a speedy recovery!!

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

godzilla
on 10/15/13 2:45 am - Israel
It is one if those many complications we read about with Weight Loss surgery and Plastics-and pray it does not happen to us.
I think I read on Dr.Sauceda Board of someone that happened to.
Thank GD you realized and decided to go to the ER to get checked out but I'm sure you did not think you would be checking in!
Have you contacted your PS just to update (not accuse) ?
Health and Healing with no more medical mishaps or surprises!
Mikimi in Israel
Happy Gurl
on 10/15/13 3:01 am
VSG on 10/26/12

That's terribly scary, but now that you're under hospital care you should be good.  I'm so glad you went to the ER.  My doctor has a big section on their pre-op booklet about blood clots and their symptoms and if I have any of them to go right to the ER.  They also put you on heparin for two weeks post op to help prevent them.  I have to get a shot of it twice a day for two weeks, which is a total drag, but fyi in case they send you home with it.   

HW: 390, HbandW: 340, LbandW:237,

HsleeveW: on 10/27/12:270, CW: 167:) GW: 175 :))))

M1:22, M2:16, M3:10, M4:9, M5:8, M6: 9, M7: 8, M8: 6, M9: 3, M10: 4

Reel
on 10/15/13 4:53 am

I had a Plastics consult with a Dr. in Tijuana. And although I was concerned about infection control and safety in his clinic;  his biggest concern was the patient's potential to develop blood clots which can travel to the lungs.  As you are aware this is very serious. You are in my thoughts and I wish you the best. Try to remain as calm as possible, and do exactly what they tell you to do.  I had not heard of an "outpatient extended Tummy Tuck" before. But I guess that there's almost an "out patient" clinic for anything. I know that there are out patient / drive through Lap Band clinics in the US.  Maybe it's best that you were not in a situation where you had to "fly" back home. Because from my understanding "flying" can promote even more blood clots after surgery. Best wishes. Please keep us updated. 

MyBariatricLife
on 10/15/13 9:40 am

Yes, flying can increase the risk of blood clots. However, I think that the patient is safe after 2 weeks post op to fly.

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

MyBariatricLife
on 10/15/13 9:38 am

OMG, I am so glad that you went to the ER. I believe the clots in your lungs are pulmonary embolisms and are life threatening. Did your surgeon put you on blood thinners and do a Venus ultrasound of your legs?

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

Tess145
on 10/15/13 11:01 pm - Senatobia, MS

So sorry for issues.  My PS had me take heparin shots for 10 days after surgery to prevent clots plus I had a breathing pump to blow into to clear my lungs of any after effects.  I am glad you are in the hospital.  They will be able to treat  and get you cleared up real soon.  Sending you prayers.

Tess

Starting Wt 306; Losing Wt 155; Goal Wt 145: Regain Wt 225; Current Wt 157
PS:  FDL Tummy Tuck, Hernia Repair 5/17/12, TT Revision, Butt and Thigh Lift 4/18/13

Heather L.
on 10/16/13 1:25 am - Coquitlam, Canada
VSG on 03/26/15

I developed a blood clot in my leg after knee surgery.  Three days after surgery I woke up with terrible pain and tenderness in my calf. I thought it was just a pulled muscle because of walking funny due to the surgery.  A week later, I was walking up some stairs at my boyfriend's house and by the time I got to the top my heart was pounding out of my chest and I couldn't breathe.  Turns out the clot in my leg broke off and travelled to my lungs.  After the diagnosis, I was kept in hospital for a week and then took warfarin (coumadin) for 6 months until the clot resolved.  Now, I must have 30 days of post-op blood thinners any time I have surgery and can never take oral contraceptives ever again.  

I'm really glad you went to the ER so they could figure out what was going on.  It's scary, but totally treatable.  

VSG Mar 26, 2015 Dr. Sharadh Sampath -- 5'3" -- 47YO -- HW: 294 - SW: 261 - CW: 192 - GW: 175
Bi-lateral Brachioplasty May 8, 2017 Dr. Owen Reid
Lower Body Lift Oct 2, 2017 Dr. Owen Reid

"Weight is lost in kitchens, health is gained in gyms." - Dr. Yoni Freedhoff

heatherisshrinking.tumblr.com

Most Active