Question on time it takes tail bone sensitivy and skin openings to heal

MyBariatricLife
on 10/27/13 1:01 am, edited 10/27/13 1:14 am

Hey everyone! I am about 2.5 weeks out from body lift (no TT), arm lift, breast lift, thigh lift. My tailbone has no fat on it since the body lift and it has bothered me with pain since getting out of surgery. I even have chaffing and a scab there. I had asked Dr. Capella about this and he said many patients complain of it but it goes away once everything loosens up. So I want to see who else has had this problem and how long it took for it to go away. Thanks.

I also have small openings in my both arm pits and one in the groin. Dr. Capella said he hoped they would be healed in 3 weeks. So I wanted to see what other patients' real world experience with this was. How long did it take for yours to heal? I know doctor's have different protocols for treating the openings so I would be interested to hear what protocol you followed and how long it took to heal. As for me, I am keeping the areas dry with gauze and since there is not a lot of oozing I hope this means they will heal more quickly. Also, did you baby your arms during this time by not really using them so as to help with healing? I forgot to ask my surgeon about that. Thanks!

FYI - you can see pix of my incision openings in my photo album as well as my markup photos and a few after photos. The password is "capella" and you need to be my friend to access them. Ladies only, please!

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

Nikke2003
on 10/27/13 3:56 am - PA
VSG on 05/13/13

Sorry, I don't have any answers to your questions because I haven't had plastics (yet!)... I'm actually not even close to it. I just wanted to thank you though for always sharing your experiences through this process. I am SO excited for you and your new body!! It's exciting to read about this kind of stuff... I really look forward to meeting Dr. Capella someday for a consult.... hopefully next (early) summer. The pictures make it look SO painful, but I'm hoping that it's worth it for you!

For more info on my journey & goals, visit my blog at http://flirtybythirty.wordpress.com

MyBariatricLife
on 10/27/13 5:22 am

Aww, thanks Nikke, it was sweet of you to comment! I am touched that you are excited for me and my new body! Everyone loves a good transformation story. I love to read about the journeys of women on this site, some who have become my friends and took a lot of time coaching me through this last surgery. As for pain, I think the pix probably looks worse than the reality of pain. I got an email from Dr. Capella today and he told me the right arm should stabilize in a few days (at 3 weeks post op). It looks to me that it has gotten larger overnight so I emailed him an updated pix. In the plus column, I think the groin incision closed. But as far as pain goes, the tummy tuck was by far the worst. The other stuff is not so bad by comparison. And even the pain, both physically and financially, it is worth it!

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

Laura in Texas
on 10/27/13 12:37 pm

All of my tiny openings closed within a week. My bigger one in the middle of my back took 2 weeks to close just like Dr. L said it would. Had it begun to split any further, he would have stapled on either side of it to prevent it from opening more, but thankfully it did not. i used Xeroform on the openings when my seems split.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

MyBariatricLife
on 10/27/13 12:55 pm

Thanks, Laura. You are the second person to recommend the Xeroform to me. I ran this past Dr. C earlier today and he said I could try it. The package will be here in a few days. That also is good to know about the stapling. My right arm opened more overnight and Dr. C said it should stabilize in a few days when I am 3 weeks post op. I sure hope it doesn't get any bigger but if it does I will ask him to have a local physician staple it. How big was your opening on your back?

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

Laura in Texas
on 10/27/13 8:50 pm

Around dime sized. I told Dr. L I was worried I would unravel all the way around...lol.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

MyLady Heidi
on 10/27/13 3:07 pm

I popped a stitch in my armpit and it was a little open spot.  It oozed a few days then healed over on its own.  I had absolutely no swelling in my arms, no drains either, that surprised me.  I wore the compression sleeves for a few months because they felt better against the scars then normal clothes rubbing against them.  I never babied my body with anything I had done, never overwhelmed my poor kidneys with too much protein or took more vitamins or actually did any exercise and I healed perfectly.  My first surgery was ten hours and the second less then three. Both done at Yale in CT.  I love Yale but refuse to hang around there after surgery and pick up what germ du jour is.  I recovered alone at home from day one with both my plastics.  The idea of someone "taking care of me" is not for me.  I like to take care of myself.  But that is just me.  

MyBariatricLife
on 10/28/13 8:07 pm, edited 10/29/13 12:38 am

I am with you on that . I have not babied my arms because I was on my own at the hotel once I left the care center. And when I got home I had sex thwt night, no shagging though, I just layed back and he did all the work really. But in the morning we did shag. My surgeon told me to play it by ear with regard to when to return to sex, so we took it slow and HB was gentle. But after that I noticed the openings. Not sure if this caused it or just coincidence but my shop is now closed! I really think it was just a cumulative effect. The woman I know who did not have an opening really babied her arms. 

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

MyBariatricLife
on 10/29/13 12:44 am

PS with regard to germs du jour, my last day in the care center I started a hacking cough. Dr. Capella put me on antibiotics, again, but I still have the damn cough. I have been on antibiotics since Oct 8th! He told me to see if something presents itself and also asked me to get a CBC so he can check my WBC with regard to the red areas around two of my incisions. So of course in the back of my creative mind I keep wondering if I picked up something gross from the nursing home. It certainly cannot be a bed of health there!

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

Mell
on 10/29/13 12:32 am

I would first like to say how I really appreciate you posting pictures.

I had the anchor cut and had an opening right at my pubic hair line it was much worse than yours it took about 5 weeks to close, I ended up having to pack it and that really sped up the process. You look awesome! 

How are you feeling? Has this round been easier than the last? I am thinking of a small revision to my TT but I am still scared from the pain of the first surgery!

Good luck!

Mell
Start weight: 320
At surgery:  300
Current:      185
Goal:           175

Most Active