Recovery at 2 weeks post LBL and brachioplasty?

katier825
on 11/12/13 10:25 am

I know everyone recovers at different rates, but I am curious at how you were about 2 weeks out.  Could you drive?  Were you still changing bandages?  The reason I ask is because hubby booked a surgery for himself 2 weeks after mine.  I'm a bit concerned that I won't be up to the task of driving myself around, taking care of myself or helping him much.  He will be in the hospital 1-2 nights. I told him I probably wouldn't be able to hang out and help him get back on his feet and help pass the time.  We don't have young kids, but do have an elderly parent living with us (no help there - probably more of a hassle).  I can probably find someone to drive me around if I needed to, but don't really have someone that I am comfortable enough with to help me with bandages.  I would have preferred he wait until I am a bit further out than that, but apparently he's not too interested in my opinion.  :(

So at 2 weeks out, were you pretty much fending for yoursel***** any tips to make things easier?

pineview01
on 11/12/13 11:13 am, edited 11/12/13 11:22 am - Davison, MI

My advise is to kick him in the butt and tell him to wait a couple more weeks.frown  He should WANT to take care of you!

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

emelar
on 11/12/13 11:19 am - TX

I was taking care of myself from the time I came home from surgery - two days postoperative from a LBL. Definitely could NOT have taken care of anyone else, but I was fine. Yes, I was driving. And cursing every pothole and speed bump. But I was still hunched over and moving very slowly. And I still had drains. As long as your surgery is uncomplicated and your hubby isn't expecting anything from you, you should be fine. 

MyBariatricLife
on 11/12/13 11:37 am

well, 2-3 weeks out is when you are most likely to open your axilla because the internal sutures are at their weakest. yes, i fended for myself (I was alone in a hotel room) and look what happened to my arms! one axilla opened on my 2-week anniversary and the other the following day. the only people I know who have not had their arm pits open are those who did not use their arms for anything for 3 weeks. after that your skin should be pretty healed.

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

sonnieN
on 11/13/13 12:02 am - grand rapids, MI

I was home and pretty much fending for myself by that time. Didn't drive until about 3 weeks out if I remember. I would have your husband change his surgery by a couple of weeks unless it's a easy out patient surgery where he won't need any help.

katier825
on 11/13/13 8:06 am, edited 11/13/13 8:07 am
On November 13, 2013 at 8:02 AM Pacific Time, sonnieN wrote:

I was home and pretty much fending for myself by that time. Didn't drive until about 3 weeks out if I remember. I would have your husband change his surgery by a couple of weeks unless it's a easy out patient surgery where he won't need any help.

I was trying to get him to schedule his after Christmas but he went ahead and scheduled it before.  I think he should change it too...he's being an ass.  He thinks "I" am being selfish...I've been planning this and saving up my vac time for a year so I could do it this Dec.  His can be done whenever.  I'm just pissed at his attitude.  I am already stressed and emotional and don't need any extra aggravation right now.

sonnieN
on 11/13/13 8:39 am - grand rapids, MI

If he's being an ass about it I would le him know that you will do what you are physically capable of doing when it comes time for his surgery. But in the meantime he should come up w/ some alternatives to you doing the driving and helping him after the surgery if you are incapable of helping him out due to your already scheduled surgery. If he doesn't plan for than and you can't help then it's on his ass if he runs stuck. You gave him fair warning and he still scheduled it. Don't put your recovery in jeopardy for his surgery because he's being a stupid ass in scheduling it.

katier825
on 11/13/13 11:43 am
On November 13, 2013 at 4:39 PM Pacific Time, sonnieN wrote:

If he's being an ass about it I would le him know that you will do what you are physically capable of doing when it comes time for his surgery. But in the meantime he should come up w/ some alternatives to you doing the driving and helping him after the surgery if you are incapable of helping him out due to your already scheduled surgery. If he doesn't plan for than and you can't help then it's on his ass if he runs stuck. You gave him fair warning and he still scheduled it. Don't put your recovery in jeopardy for his surgery because he's being a stupid ass in scheduling it.

that's pretty much how I feel about it myself.

Most Active