Exercise - Post Tummy Tuck (having pain issues)

cutekatie
on 9/15/14 6:18 am
RNY on 05/16/12

I am 4 weeks post op from a tummy tuck with mons lift. I want to get back to exercising and my surgeon said I could go for short walks (under 30 minutes). The issue is that my mons area/inner thighs gets sharp pains as I walk.

Anyone else experience this?

HW 282 OW 273 SW 247 CW 232

(deactivated member)
on 9/15/14 6:38 am

After surgery, because of the swelling, of the nerves also, there is usually numbness. The swelling, fluid retention is usually greatest around 5-7 days after the surgery and then it begins to diminish. As it diminishes, the nerves "come alive" again and you get shooting pains and different uncomfortable feelings which then should return to normal sensibility after the succeeding weeks. Also, on moving, you are stretching the injured tissue which then causes pain also.

With a tummy tuck, you do end up with almost permanent numbness between the pubic area scar and belly button.

Dr. Edward Jonas Domanskis is Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery 1441 Avocado Avenue, Suite 307 Newport Beach, California 92660 949.640-6324/1.888.234-5080(Ca) Website: http://www.surgery-plastic.com Assistant Clinical Professor of SurgeryWOS-Plastic,University of California (Irvine) Orange County’s Physician of Excellence/America’s Top Physicians/Top Doctors Plastic Surgery- 2005/2006/2007/2008/2009/2012/2013 President,American Society of Bariatric Plastic Surgeons www.ASBPS.org

Non-Toxic, No Nanos Skin Care- www.ORGANODERM.com

Scar Therapy-www.ScaRxtape.com

cutekatie
on 9/15/14 6:58 am
RNY on 05/16/12

Thank you for the response. The swelling doesn't get worse with exercise which is why I continued. I'm totally fine with the numbness but thank you for explaining the nerve endings.

antebellum1812
on 9/15/14 11:18 am

Hi -

When I was first released to exercise after the TT, I was told no more than 30 minutes at a speed of 3.0 mph and on flat ground.  I took it very slow.  As much as I wanted to jump right back in there, I knew I couldn't.  It gets very discouraging after dropping a lot of weight and then not being able to go to the gym or do what you could previously. The 30 minute thing was very annoying as that only burns about 120 calories.  Ridiculous!  However, it is still movement.

I have a general rule towards exercise, which is to make the workout difficult but still doable.  These are very heft surgeries for recovery.  Keep it doable.  Remember, you are going to have to rebuild strength and it is part of the process.

Good luck!

cutekatie
on 9/15/14 11:22 am
RNY on 05/16/12

Thank you for the response. I just have been gaining weight because thats what happens when I don't exercise. I hate the emotions that happen when having surgery. I want to exercise and just hate not feeling good.

Most Active