compression garments vs none

Christine912
on 8/21/16 11:21 am - KEW GARDENS, NY

Good Afternoon

Im having my surgery on the 8th of Sept (LBL, arms and breasts) and my doctor doesn't believe in compression garments.  What are the positives about compression garments vs the negatives of wearing them?

Starting Weight: 292

Current Weight 137

Under goal weight.

Christine

Leslie W.
on 8/21/16 1:37 pm - Cobourg, Canada

Mine didn't either. For breasts just a good sport bra. 

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
Iam_with_the_Band
on 8/21/16 2:12 pm

I couldn't have made it without my surgical grade compression garments.  they made a huge difference in whether or not I was swollen.  I had a thighplasty and a LBL with anchor cut tummy tuck.  I wore my garments 24/7 for 6 weeks, except when I was showing.  I would take my garments off and I would swell quickly.  I couldn't wait to get them back on.  They helped keep my incisions from straining from the increased swelling.  I swear by them and wouldn't have any skin removal procedure without my compression garments. 

I have a friend who had a thighplasty and LBL.  Her doctor was anti garments and her incision on her thigh opened from the intense swelling she had. She was left with a horrible scar. 

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

Christine912
on 8/21/16 4:30 pm - KEW GARDENS, NY

where do you purchase the garments

Starting Weight: 292

Current Weight 137

Under goal weight.

Christine

Iam_with_the_Band
on 8/21/16 11:53 pm, edited 8/21/16 4:53 pm

Two surgical grade garments that my surgeon gives his patients. 

www.designveronique.com 

www.marenagroup.com

not cheap but well worth it!! 

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

MissNexxie
on 8/21/16 8:03 pm
VSG on 04/30/14

I'm almost 7 weeks out from posterior body lift with lipo (had abdominoplasty last year) and couldn't have done it without the compression garments.  They really help with the swelling, plus, keep the incisions stable and provide somewhat of a barrier.  I was super swollen even with the garments for the first 4 weeks.  They do take some getting used to because you should be wearing them 24 hours a day for the first 4 weeks so going to the bathroom is weird the first time (bm, not peeing - they have open crotch) but you get used to it.  I've really come to appreciate them as I still swell up as the day progresses and I wear them full time.

I suggest buying 2 garments so you can put the other one on when washing the first one.

Isavela is the brand I used and I cannot say enough good things.  I recommend the Stage 1 garments (hook & eye plus side zippers) for the first 4 weeks at least because you will not feel like pulling down/up anything for some time while you recover and Stage 2 garments have no zippers.  If you're getting any hip/thigh lipo I'd suggest the 'capri' length as the 'above knee' didn't compress my whole thigh and my hubby had to keep pulling the legs down because the swelling went far down and the garment came to a few inches above the knee.  And go 'high waisted' all the way.  Nice, comfy thick waistband way above the incision line.

http://www.isavela.com/

either of these might help you out: 

GR05: http://www.isavela.com/girdles/high-waist-girdles/high-waist -abdominal-below-knee-compression-girdle-gr05.html

BS05: http://www.isavela.com/body-suits/body-suits-with-suspenders /body-suit-below-knee-length-w-suspender-plastic-surgery-com pression-garment-w-zipper-bs05.html

good luck with your surgery!

Surgery: April 30, 2014: HW: 288 SW: 250 Achieved Goal 149 lbs: April 8, 2015 CW: 158 lbs (working on losing 65 lb regain as of June 1, 2021. Weight was at 215 lbs). Fighting every darn day!

NYMom222
on 8/22/16 8:43 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I wore compression garment as well and highly recommend.... After about 2 weeks or so I switched out to a Spanx that went from under bust to mid thigh. The compression he had given me had gotten big once swelling started to subside. 

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 8/23/16 4:27 pm, edited 8/23/16 1:42 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

What are you having done??  Did you get more than one opinion - even if you love the first Plas Sur, you owe yourself a second consult.

For lipo I found them essential.  I NEEDED them for thigh lipo and the arm lift.  I did not need them for breast lift.

Medico --  http://www.medicointernational.com/ 

They are in Allentown, PA (near me) and I tried on the garments before I bought.  But, my pl surg gave me the garments from this company.  

Since it is getting cooler, you might not need them, but in the summer, if you get hot, you will swell. 

I cannot image what my arms would have looked like without compression sleeves.  They swelled up if I took them off for 30 min, even if I kept my arms over my head.  I got just the Sleeves from my doctor.  I purchased a vest - sleeves with a bra.  But it is very difficult to get the bra big enough for my ribcage(Med) and have the sleeves not be too big.  I got a Small and then modified/enlarged the back of the vest to be bigger.  But I needed 2 - so I could have one to wear while the other was drying.

See my post about modifying them.  http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/plasticsurgery/6009601/Com pression-garments-that-do-NOT-fit/    

They say to hand wash and air dry.  I put mine in the washer (inside a lingerie bag) on gentle and did not notice a problem but DO NOT put them in the dryer  - the heat (even on low) weakens the stretch.  

Sharon

KattattaK
on 8/24/16 8:45 am

Amzon.com sells compression garments for very decent prices. A friend of mine had RnY several years ago and was just able to have plastics. She purchased all her compression garments on Amazon. Because they were so cheap compared to doctor's costs, she purchased 2 of each. 

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 8/24/16 5:55 pm, edited 8/24/16 10:55 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

You need to know what you are buying on Amazon - some are actual post-surgical grade compression garments, (and are the same brands as have been suggested here). I call them Iron Maiden  and needed them for the first month.   Some are lower level athletic compression and are more like the med to firm compression Spanx.  They were better for 4-8 weeks.  I always used the prof-grade sleeves for my arm lift, and 'later used the spanx-like capri length 'shapers.'

I would be concerned about going against doctors orders.  I might ask my doctor if he was against them or just didn;t think they did much and if you wanted to wear them, he would be OK with that.  If you are having an extended (8-hour) surgery, you will want good follow-up care and want to be on the same page as your doctor.

Sharon

Most Active