Panni with Lipo

KarenRaeV
on 11/1/16 9:13 am
RNY on 06/03/13

Hello all....I am new to this forum.  I am schedules for panniculectomy and lipo of the flanks.  My insurance will cover the Panni and the lipo is out of pocket.  My Surgeon has informed me I would not be happy with my outcome with out doing lipo I would be left with what he called dog ears on each side.  YUCK..so I opted for the lipo as well.  Has anyone else had these done and are you happy with the outcome.  How was the recovery...when did you return to work, and other info would be greatly appreciated.

emelar
on 11/1/16 9:45 am - TX

The panniculectomy only removes the apron of skin hanging below your belly button.  This is a good result of a panni:

Ask your surgeon what the price difference is between him doing a panni and a full abdominoplasty (tummy tuck).  The tummy tuck will extend above the belly button, tighten muscles, and should include a mons lift.  Liposuction will sculpt one area, but lipo pulls fat out, leaving empty skin.  I'm not sure it will get you the result you want.

KarenRaeV
on 11/1/16 9:51 am
RNY on 06/03/13

Thank you ..I will ask about the TT....but he didn't seem to think I would need that.  And he was doing the lipo for body contouring...not sure I guess I need to ask some more questions.  Any guess on healing time?

emelar
on 11/1/16 9:54 am - TX

If you don't get muscle repair, it just depends on how the incision heals.  No complications, you should be feeling pretty good at 2-3 weeks.  But everyone is different.  Does your doc put in drains?

KarenRaeV
on 11/1/16 9:58 am
RNY on 06/03/13

Yes he said I would have drains up to 2-3 weeks until they show no fluid.  Sounds yucky!!  The lipo is to smooth out my "Haunches" on the back side..he said I already have an hour glass shape just needs to be smoothed out...whatever that means.  I am cautiously optimistic!

emelar
on 11/2/16 8:27 am - TX

The drains are a nuisance, but they serve a function.  The area where they come out of you will get sore.  Use a mini-pad, cut a slit in it, and slide the tube into the slit so that the pad is protecting the tube.  The less it's pulled or moved, the better.

KarenRaeV
on 11/2/16 8:34 am
RNY on 06/03/13

Thank you for your advice!!  Hopefully I won't have to have them very long....I have been trolling everyone's post on here and still haven't found anyone who had just had the Panni and lipo.  I didn't think this was that unusual....  I am scheduled for 1/17/17..pre op apt is 1/9/17.  So I am a bit anxious and nervous to say the least.

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 11/4/16 1:28 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

IMHO - If you "don't know what it means" - you are not ready to be cut upon.   Ask for another consult so your doctor can explain with pictures of what you are expected to look like after surgery.

While some plastic surgeries are correctable, it is better going in thinking that whatever happens will be permanent (esp because of the price and recovery time). 

Sharon

KarenRaeV
on 11/4/16 7:35 am
RNY on 06/03/13

I actually do know what it means....but was more concerned with my belly apron than my backside.  I definitely am going into this thinking it is a permanent thing...not a try and a possible redo.  Thank you for your comment I didn't realize how flip my comment sounded.

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 11/4/16 11:21 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Glad you're feeling OK. It's easy to rush into PS and not really understand what you will look like and how difficult the recovery is (from my experience).  Best of luck to you!  If you think of questions that were not answered, don't hesitate to contact your surgeon again before surgery.  

Sharon

Most Active