Panniculectomy

Poohzaz
on 3/15/18 6:12 pm
RNY on 07/31/12

hello,

i was approved for Panniculectomy but my surgeon wants me to check with a cosmetic surgeon about a full tummy tuck before choosing this route. Has anyone ever done a panniculectomy and then years later had any more work done to your upper abdomen? She made it sound like if I do the panniculectomy, it done and nothing else can be done ever. I'm not saying I'll want it but she thinks I won't be happy with just the panniculectomy as it'll leave me with a good size muffin top. I just want to explore this a little because I want to choose the panniculectomy but maybe later tighten up the upper abdomen.

CC C.
on 3/16/18 9:26 am

I've read a little about the pannulectomy and from what I can gather, it's more about just getting rid of the hanging part and less about aesthetics. Often your belly button is removed and not put back. The abdominal muscles aren't tightened, so not only do you have a muffin top, but your stomach still protrudes instead of being made flat.

When you said you were approved, do you mean approved by your insurance to have it covered? If so, some plastic surgeons will apply that toward a tummy tuck or body lift so the part you pay for is the work over and above what is covered by insurance. Many plastic surgeons do a free consultation. It may be worth it just to explore what your options are. Good luck!

airbender
on 3/17/18 9:55 pm
On March 16, 2018 at 1:12 AM Pacific Time, Poohzaz wrote:

hello,

i was approved for Panniculectomy but my surgeon wants me to check with a cosmetic surgeon about a full tummy tuck before choosing this route. Has anyone ever done a panniculectomy and then years later had any more work done to your upper abdomen? She made it sound like if I do the panniculectomy, it done and nothing else can be done ever. I'm not saying I'll want it but she thinks I won't be happy with just the panniculectomy as it'll leave me with a good size muffin top. I just want to explore this a little because I want to choose the panniculectomy but maybe later tighten up the upper abdomen.

I would wait till you could have a full TT done, ask the surgeon if he/she will just let you pay the difference. and no "nothing else can be done ever"...is incorrect...

If you have a specific question for me, PM me or I will not see it, as I don't check responses on the forums and don't have anything forwarded to my email.

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 3/26/18 4:13 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Yes, go to the PS and get a consult and their opinion. There is no reason to put yourself through 2 separate surgeries and 2 recoveries. Look on Realself.com for photos. If you have had babies, then the TT is probably a good idea, if not and your muscles are not in bad shape then the pann might be OK - but you still might want it done by a PS and not a general surgeon.

You should know terms like dog ears.

Find 2 Board cert PS and get into see them, preferrably at least one specializes in massive WL patients.

Best of luck with this part of your journey

Sharon

Most Active