HELP! Can't get my protein levels up, will I still be allowed to have surgery?

samiamiam
on 2/15/19 10:58 am

Hello, since my bypass over 12 years ago, my protein levels sit at 5.8 which is under the lowest normal amount. I eat 6 eggs a day (cholesterol is always low), and lots of dairy, and have recently added more protein shakes. Have you had that issue? Are there tips to help with absorption? I watched a youtube video with Dr. S and he said that he only works on healthy people and you need to have a good protein level

Tammy

Thank you to all who take the time to share and give me advice.
Teresa
catwoman7
on 2/15/19 2:33 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

do you know how many grams of protein you're getting a day? My prealbumin level tanks if I don't average 100 grams or more per day, so I'm still doing one protein shake a day at 3.5 years out - plus I push the protein through the food I eat, too.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

samiamiam
on 2/15/19 7:24 pm

80 or more grams of protein when I am not trying. I love eggs and dairy. As of today, I am keeping better track and making sure that I am getting 30 grams every 3 hours through meals and/ or snacks for the 14 hours that I am awake each day.

catwoman7
on 2/15/19 7:41 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

80 grams a day when you're not trying is good. So you're usually even higher than that? You must really be malabsorbing it. I sometimes go as high as 130 or 140, though - someone else on here averages around 140 as well - so it's do-able

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 2/16/19 8:58 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

My PS wanted me to be at 100 gms protein a day for the 2-4 weeks before surgery to help promote healing. How much are you getting?

An egg only has 6 gms of protein, so are you getting another 64gms a day?

https://www.google.com/search?q=protein+in+an+egg&oq=protein+in+an+&aqs=chrome.0.0j69i57j0l4.2838j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Sharon

samiamiam
on 2/17/19 11:33 am

Hello, I always thought eggs had more protein until I looked the other day. I have now incorporated 3 protein shakes a day into my food on top of a high protein diet. I am 12+ years out from my bypass and can not seem to absorb the protein. So, I am now faithfully making sure that I am getting around 150 grams or more a day. I will get my blood workup done in a month and see if that has made a difference. I also did some research that said that probiotics help with absorption of protein and chewing your foods well. I also just started yoga and am hoping that this added protein can help me start to rebuild all of the muscle that has wasted away

Tammy

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 2/17/19 3:39 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Sounds like a plan for the protein.

Because of thyroid and other issues, I'm now seeing an endocrinologist. She is advising the probiotics also, as generally helping with regularity after taking iron.

Sharon

samiamiam
on 2/18/19 2:18 pm

I saw an endocrinologist because I was always getting low blood sugar. He said this happens later out in surgeries. I have now increased my protein by taking in 3 protein shakes a day, lowered my carbs and sugar and too my surprise this morning, I lost 5 pounds! In a week! I also have hypothyroid and low iron. I used to have to get iron infusions but when I started taking a b vitamin complex, I no longer have had to get them. My iron is a bit borderline and I want to get one more infusion before I have my plastic surgery which I can not believe is going to actually happen after all of these years.

RNY on 12/22/14

Great - how are the prospects of PS

Sharon

samiamiam
on 7/6/19 12:14 pm

Hi, I fell back into bad habits of not drinking my protein shakes, however, I will be so on it for a few months before my surgery. I am hoping to have surgery in January. I am so scared.

Thank you to all who take the time to share and give me advice.
Teresa
Most Active