PCOS and the realize

tbuggs
on 8/29/08 12:13 pm - Longmont, CO
I just went to my consult today. I was pretty positive that I wanted the realize band, but now I read all of these and it seems most people with PCOS go for the rny. Does anyone have imfo about PCOS and the realize?
TamaraL
on 8/31/08 4:40 am
Hi Tbuggs

Check out the polycystic ovarian syndrome forum on OH.

THere are people that have done both lap band, realize and RNY

Tamara
tbuggs
on 9/1/08 7:56 am - Longmont, CO
Thank you but I have a silly question for ya..... what is OH?
TamaraL
on 9/1/08 9:34 am
Oh- obesity help

If you go to forums and go to the bottom it says more forums. click on this.

Go to medical conditions Polycystic ovarian syndrome.

I have it and was very glad that there was a forum for us PCOS er's
phfauche
on 9/2/08 11:30 am - Columbus, OH
What does your doctor recommend?  My daughter has PCOS and her doctor and she decided on Lap Band for her.  I think her starting weight was 265 or so.  She was banded the end of May and has lost 40+ lbs.  She has finally had a period and some of her problems are starting to clear up.  She's hoping her endo will take her off metformin at her next visit.

Good Luck,

Hugs,   Peggy 

tbuggs
on 9/3/08 12:14 am - Longmont, CO
Thank you for your positive knowledge. We didnt really discuss anything different with the Doc. He said I was qulified for the band and that is what I want. But when I joined OH i saw that alot of people chose the RNY who had PCOS. How long ago did you daughter start all of this?
phfauche
on 9/3/08 2:21 am - Columbus, OH

I guess she started getting sick after she was engaged.  (about 6 yrs ago)She had lost a lot of weight on a liquid diet (Herbalife ).  Then out of nowhere she began gaining weight and found out she had thyroid problems.  They found nodules on her thyroid.  She gained all of the 70+ lbs. she lost in a matter of months.  Then she got married and they wanted to start a family.  Well to make a long story short, after 3 yrs. of marriage she was disgnosed with PCOS.  She now sees a reproductive endochronologist along with her regular endo guy.  She's hoping she will be able to get pregnant some time next May.  It'll be 5 yrs. that they are married.

I really don't know what all the fuss is about these bands.  I have a realize band but I didn't choose it, my doctor did.  My daughter was the 14cc band by enamed (I believe that's who makes them). 

Hugs,   Peggy 

Char24782
on 9/8/08 4:04 pm
Hi!!  I had the realize band put in about 7 months ago and have lost 93 pounds.  I also have PCOS and some symptoms are getting better.  I also went to Dr. Johnell he is wonderful.

Charlotte

tbuggs
on 9/9/08 1:06 am - Longmont, CO
That is wonderful to hear. I was getting worried. Can you tell me about some of you expeirences... the good and bad. Did you have to loose 10% of your body weight and what happenes if you dont? Wow you made my week , thank you!
Char24782
on 9/9/08 4:19 pm
I did have to lose 10% of my body weight.  The reason why they make you do this is so that your liver shrinks and they can get to your stomach easily during surgery...if they cant they wont do the surgery.  One thing that I wasnt really ready for was about a week after my surgery I felt like I was starving and didnt have any energy even to go walk around in a store.  You are on a full liquid diet for 2 weeks after your surgery so its difficult. I wasnt able to go back to work for 6 weeks.  But that depends on what kind of a job you have.  I have to walk all day at mine.  But during these 2 weeks you have to drink one ounce every 15 minutes.  It is very important that you do that because that is the only way I survived. One once every 15 minutes on the dot.  It helped me to drink milk and carnation instant breakfast (sugarfree).  I would suggest buying a cup that has ounces on the side and carry it with you where ever you go.  It was hard in the beginning but your body is healing.  I would do it again in a heartbeat!  It was way worth it.  If you have anymore questions just ask.

Charlotte

Most Active