Dr. Oz's lap-band show....

Amy_Kleve
on 4/4/11 12:16 pm - Adrian, MN
I was VERY upset with his show today. Seemed like someone was paying him to advertise the lap-band. He only gave a few hints on the cons and dove right into the pros.

I've have the lap band for 4 years, have not had ANY weight loss. I've had fills and more fills. I even had fluid taken out a few times.

I eat just the way I use to eat before the surgery. I diet the same as I did before the surgery as well.

Why didn't he have someone on that didn't have ANY success with the band!?! I have had the band for 4 years and have seen NO results! *I'm in the process of revision surgery to the DS or RNY* I would have liked to talk to those two women thinking about getting the lap-band, that's for sure!!!!

**He should have added other weight loss surgery types like RNY, DS, VSG, VBG, MGB....ect... I know he only has an hour show, but he should have and most definitely COULD have talked about what the difference was in restrictive weight loss surgeries and malabsorptive weight loss surgeries.

Lap band 4 years ago. Revised to DS 8-2-11

Terry P.
on 4/4/11 8:15 pm - Wappingers Falls, NY

I am so sorry you have has such bad luck with the lap-band. I know 4 people who have one and all had crappy results. I don't understand how doctors can push something that has such bad results. I was almost going to have one myself, but at the time, the military facility I was going to did not offer it. I was very disappointed at the time and had RNY-bypass instead. I think fate stepped in at the time because it was the right choice for me. I live in NY and the DS is not an option we have. I think I might have preferred that one.  Are you looking into a revision?   Terry

LAP RNY 06/05/08
Day of surgery 197
Lowest weight 127
Current weight 165
Goal 135

(deactivated member)
on 4/5/11 6:45 am
I thought ABSOLUTELY the same thing you did.

The show was about the Lap-Band and how it is available to people with lower BMI's now. So I don't think it was a general show about all WLS choices.  I think that is why they stuck with the Lap-Band (all puns intended there).

I did hate that he didn't get counter points.  It almost seemed like he had an agenda, or at the very least some financial support from those promoting Lap-Band procedures.  I know that the Lap-Band has to have a pretty powerful lobby to get the restricions lowered to a BMI of less than 35.  They didn't even have a good counterpoint person for reasons not to lower the BMI restrictions.

I wanted to jump through the screen at those people.  The lady who was eating yogurt, broth, and pudding daily has no IDEA that she is too tight!!!  6 months out??? PLEASE!!!

elaine8488
on 4/5/11 12:46 pm, edited 4/5/11 7:47 pm
Hello, Im new to this site. I recieved the lapband almost 4 years ago. I too was frustrated at Dr. Oz show on Monday. I agree.. only pros on the procedure, no cons. Your post hit home for me.. as I am beyond frustrated. Im 49 female, 5'7'' and before lapand I weighed 274lbs. The first 2 yrs I lost 89lbs. They set my goal at 180. I have been 200lbs for 2 years now. I have a band that holds 3 cc's of saline and had was at 1.6 cc's. I had Dr. take it down to 1.2 due to daily pbing. I call it vomiting. Dr. said youll be back for a fill.. how can I get a fill when I'm sick almost daily?I follow the rules of going on liquids for 48 hrs. after vomiting and taking liquid benadryl for the inflammation. I'm now up to 210lbs and am so upset and sick of being sick and revolving my life around this band. I have to eat alone, cant eat out, and am isolated. My Dr.shut down our online support group because he didnt care for all of us expressing the same issues! I watch Dr. Oz daily and was furious that it was all one sided. The one woman with the tsps of yogurt as her daily intake, what about protein? I dont know if my insurance will cover a revision to gastric bypass. My sister had gastric 4 yrs ago also, and is down to 145lbs. Thats not my reason for wanting gastric. She doesnt get stuck like I do, as long as she eats slowly and takes small bites(as I do) she is fine. I got so sick 3 nights ago, for 3 hours I was stuck, I stuck my fingers down my throat, it was a nightmare. I havent eaten anything solid because I'm so afraid of going through that again. My husband wants me to have band removed, as he sees my suffering. He doesnt understand my fear of being that obese again. I'm so depressed as I am suffering and gaining at the same time. I have back pain and my primary Dr. put me on Lyrica. Also take antidepressants thatlead to weight gain. I told Dr. about the Lyrica making me gain weight and so sleepy, and explained I have the lapband and worked very hard to lose weight. He didnt like that. He believes I should still take med.. and I will not take it. I sent a message to Dr. Oz about doing a show with all aspects of the band, good and bad. Much luck to you!!God Bless :)
Holly O.
on 4/6/11 5:40 am - FL
My story is basically the same as yours.....I had surgery for lapband, Nov. 3/2006....almost 5 years out....same story......fills, more fills, tweek here and there.......initially lost 25 lbs. but have regained.  I am starting the process of having the RNY done.  I am glad I didn't see that show........I would have been very upset as well!!  I have to attend a 2 hour seminar on April 28th....then they will set up the consult with the surgeon.  I have Tricare Prime............so far they have approved consult visits.   -Holly
Most Active