approval for RNY and DS...but I don't know?

Stacey-71
on 4/12/11 2:04 am - OH
Well this is not to cause controversary, but  I have ins. approval for revision surgery from LAPband. My current surgeon *who placed my band* only performs RNY revisions, but I have seen sooo many post regarding the DS, it has peeked my interest.
I had my band placed in 2008, but have had slips and reflux and have just not lost the weight. I am currently 250 pounds, I am a sweet eater and try my best to not be or stick with sugar free options, but I don't think I could be happy with the thought of NEVER eating a piece of B-day cake again!! I also suffer from moderate arthritis and have struggled with the band and not being able to use adequate pain relievers! I am turning 40 this year, so I don't think the arthritis will get better as I age.
 I am from a small town in Ohio and have had trouble even finding a doc that does DS.... where do you look??
I am currently scheduled for RNY on 05/23/11, so I have some time to decide on what to do, but limited time. I have Med Mutual, Super Med and know they approve DS. Already talked to them. I guess since my surgeon only does RNY, I thought that might be the best route for me. But now I am re-thinking....
I have read a lot about "gas" and "diarrhea" issues with the DS....Also about laboratory issues and mal-nutrition issues.... Anyone who could offer some info on this, I would be greatly appreciative.
It seems the RNY and the DS ppl have very strong opinions with their specific surgeries and I am not out to cause a conflict, I just want to have the appropriate info to make my own personal decision. I know that if I choose DS, I would be giving up a very soon surgery date for RNY and I would have to locate a doc to even do the DS, which is going to require some extra work and headache for myself.... Is it worth it? Are the results that much different from a RNY for someone my age and weight? *i.e. 240 pounds and 40 yrs*.Thanks in advance!
(deactivated member)
on 4/12/11 5:25 am - San Jose, CA
If you haven't already, you need to read the DS forum, and then post your questions there.

Is it worth it?  Only if you want the best odds of long term maintenance of weight loss, and to not live on a diet and/or have to exercise a great deal to maintain your weight loss. FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE.
smileyjamie72
on 4/13/11 7:39 am - Palmer, AK

Stacey, you mention arthritis.  With the RNY you can never-ever-ever take NSAIDS again, because of your pouch.  No ibuprofen, aleve (naproxen).  None of it.

I am in that boat, not being able to take NSAIDS.  I can tell you from experience, it SUCKS!!!  No to mention that I am working on a revision from my RNY to a DS.

Check out http://www.dsfacts.com/ it is good research!!!  And a list of vetted DS surgeons as well.
I have traveled to a different state for my original RNY (from Alaska) and I plan to travel again out of state for my revision as well.

John P. Maguire, MD
Donovan Teel II, MD *
Premiere Metabolic and Bariatric Associates
30 East Apple St., Suite 6258
Dayton, OH 45409
Phone: 937-208-5300 or 1-866-338-7546 toll free

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

leslieanne729
on 4/15/11 11:30 pm
This should be an easy decision......Look how many people need to be revised from an RNY. Yes, you lose weight  with the RNY but most of the time you gain it back in a few years. So do the extra work an find a DS surgeon
Ciao Leslie
RNY 2002 (regained everything)   Revised to DS 2007
5'8"  SW 246 - GW 150 - LW 143 - CW-148
Follow Your Dreams.... & Hold On To Them !!  

Angel to Karen W
Angel to MIssy
Most Active
Recent Topics