Weight Loss after band to sleeve revision?

TeddyTexas
on 4/20/11 4:44 am - Fort Worth (near Keller/Watauga), TX
I am scheduled to have my revision from the band to a sleeve on Monday, April 25. My original surgeon, Dr. David Kim (located in the Dallas/Fort Worth area) will be doing this surgery as well. So far I have lost 6 pounds on the 2 week liquid diet I started on Monday, April 11.

I had band surgery in September 2009. I lost 80 pounds, but over the past 8 months or so I have gained almost 25-30 pounds back. Over time it had become difficult to eat a variety of healthy foods. I had this awful tight feeling when I tried to eat anything with much substance. What was so weird is that this feeling has been way high - just under the dip in my throat. I have not be able to eat hardly any fruit or vegetables. I had been eating WAY the wrong foods. Anything that would go down easily - I would end up eating - lots of soft high calorie high fat foods - foods that have never even really appealed to me. It has been a relief to me to be on a liquid diet - no more foods choices! No more dreading what was I going to try to choke down.

My surgeon told me that I have a side effect of the band called dysphagia (uncoordinated swallowing). He told me that revising to a sleeve would take care of the problem, but at the same time he said that I should not count on losing much weight. I am really discouraged right now. I am a self-pay patient and feel like a made a mistake when I chose the band. In 2009 the sleeve was still pretty much considered experimental. But, in any event, I now have to spend even more money to hopefully fix the problem and hopefully lose more weight.

I still have about 60-70 pounds to lose. Has anyone had a revision from a band and a sleeve and continued to lose weight? Was it a slow weight loss? Thanks!

Stacey-71
on 4/20/11 5:41 am - OH
I too am revising to the sleeve after some mind-numbing research!! LOL! there is so much to consider! I had my band placed in 09-2008 and lost 47 pds, but then had a slip and have struggled since! My surgeon said it was time to revise and I originally planned on RNY, but just had a fear of the whole re-routing process and it didn't set right with me....like in the pit of my stomach! So I happened back onto this site and found out about the VSG and then found out my surgeon does this procedure! So it has been a blessing and I feel so much more comfortable with this as a choice! I hope you get some good advice and answers, there are some nice folks out there on this board and good luck!
Hislady
on 4/20/11 8:40 am - Vancouver, WA
I want to wish you both the very best and much success! I only wish I could do the same, but maybe someday it'll be possible. Good luck to you both, anyone that's suffered thru band life deserves a decent surgery!
_rebecca
on 4/20/11 9:34 am, edited 4/20/11 9:35 am - Houston, TX
VSG on 12/27/10 with
My story is very similair to yours.  I lost 70 with the band and put back on about 35 pounds after a leak, slip, and having the band break apart in my body. I also started having trouble swallowing and I was in constant pain.  Now I have the sleeve and I LOVE it!  I have lost 50 pounds in four months!  I don't know why your doctor is saying your won't lose weight.  I have been losing and I feel amazing.  The sleeve is awesome.  I do follow the rules of protein first and I  workout at least four days a week.  I find losing weight and keeping it off is way easier with the sleeve than with the band.  I actually have restriction all the time and I can eat healthy foods.  Stay positive about it even if your doctor is not.  The sleeve has been such a great thing for me.
ckb70
on 4/21/11 4:29 am - Morrisville, PA
I've never heard anyone else say that their doctor told them what your doctor told you. 

I had my revision from the band to the sleeve on April 12th and I'm down 20 pounds so far. 

Don't worry...you will do great!

No longer a slave to hunger!                        
TeddyTexas
on 4/21/11 5:06 am - Fort Worth (near Keller/Watauga), TX
Thanks everyone. I am very hopeful by reading your comments. I just got my surgery time for Monday. I have to be at the hospital at 7:30 and my surgery is at 9:30. Thanks again!

USAF Wife
on 4/26/11 10:54 pm
My surgeon did tell me I'd lose weight slower than a virgin sleeve patient with my revision, and well, I proved his happy ass WRONG.

I dropped 115lbs in 6.5 months which got me to goal, the first 4 months gave me 80lbs lost, and then I dropped 20-25lbs over another 4 months after hitting goal while getting into maintenance. My total loss is 138lbs in 10.5 months with 100% EW lost. I maintained my loss for about a year until the pregnancy, and I've gained about 5-7lbs on any given day with fluctuating water weight.

For me, I wasn't willing to accept losing slow or stalling out. I wasn't willing to half ass it. Stuck to the program, lost the weight, and blew the "you won't make goal within 12 months" b.s. out of the water.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

Most Active