New to Board

KaseyL86
on 7/30/11 12:40 pm
Hi everyone! I'm Kasey. I'm 24 years old, a teacher, and recently married. I had the Lap-Band surgery 11 months ago (9/2/10). In the beginning (mostly due to the liquid/soft diet), I lost around 30 lbs. After I started getting fills, the weight loss stalled and I even gained some weight. In April, I got a very big fill that was too much and I spit everything solid back up. (I had a great honeymoon...wasn't able to eat a thing!) I had an unfill...still too tight. Had a second unfill...still spit up solids. Finally, my surgeon did an Upper GI and said there was no slip but that they wanted to remove all fluid and see how I went. A few weeks later, I still was spitting up solids and it was painful! They did an endoscopy..nothing. Finally, he said he wanted to do another Upper GI that he would be present for....this one found that I have esophageal dysmotilty...which explains why food was sometimes just sitting at the bottom of my esophagus and not moving into my pouch. He said my only option is removal of the band but that they would submit to my insurance for a revision to gastric bypass (RNY). He was very clear that it was a long-shot to get insurance approval because I was not far out from my previous surgery. However, the medical effects of the band were making me sick, losing hair, exhausted, etc! Anyway, after a week, I finally called my insurance last night and found out that I was approved! I was so happy that I cried! I find out Monday when everything will be! 
Ksan32
on 7/30/11 3:01 pm - AZ
Congrats, I'm Ka Sandra 40 years, gov employee
I had band also in 2007. My weight was 260. I got down to 187. My weight loss stalled. I woke up one day and couldnt eat. I had a kink in port and had to have surgery to fix and move my port. I am now 230. I am having a revision on Tuesday. I can't weight to start my journey again. Until I had foot problems in 2003 I never had weight issues. I want a life again........

I hope all turns out great!!
MsBatt
on 7/31/11 3:51 am
I'm going to give you some unsolicited advice here---research ALL your revision options BEFORE you decide to have an RNY. Depending on how much weight you have to lose, and your particular health issues, the Sleeve/VSG (restrcition-only, like your Band) or the DS/duodenal switch (Sleeve plus malabsorption) might be a far better option for you than the RNY.

Both the Sleeve and the DS preserve all normal stomach function---the RNY does NOT. Also, revising to anything AFTER the RNY is the most difficult sort of revision, because of the way the stomach is cut during the RNY.

You've already had one WLS that didn't work out for you. Please, do some major research before youo go under then knife. Think twice, cut once.
Most Active
Recent Topics