From LapBand to ByPass, Anybody

Deeat44
on 8/12/11 12:10 am - LA
I lost about 90lbs with LapBand, Loved it. Was told I had a hernia so all the fluid was taken out.  Started to gain, had some fluid put back in, still gaining, up to gaining 48lbs back. Now I have heartburn that you would not believe.  I am going to go to Bypass if approved by my insurance. I have to do it.  I feel miserable after losing all that weight and now gaining. Every bone in my body is hurting.  Stairs are now a killer. I have to do something.  I tried everything on my own. It's not working.  Sooooo all this to say, I WONDER IF I AM MAKING THE RIGHT CHOICE. Can anybody give me some feedback if you have done it?
Lisa G.
on 8/12/11 2:40 am - Louisville (southern Indiana Actually), KY
Hi there!  I had nothing but problems after I got my band in 2007.  I originally wanted the by-pass, but my husband and family did not want me to have that, as lap-band was less evasive.  I did not lose weight like I was supposed to, I had multiple problems and finally ended up having emergency surgery to have the ban removed in 2009.   I am now getting the by-pass and am looking forward to it.  I gained back 35 of the 72 pounds I had lost and like you, was feeling miserable and like a failure. The choice is ultimately up to you-have you spoken to your support team/family/preacher?   I know this is the right choice for me-I want to have a long life to spend with my family and grandkids.  I want to stop hurting when I am walking up stairs.  I want to be able to walk with my husband and not be out of breath in less than a mile. I want to look great and feel great, and I know this is the right decision for me.  Good luck!
   Sleep Tight, America
   PROUD ARMY MOM
   My Sons Have Your Back

Cheryl N.
on 8/12/11 4:54 am, edited 8/12/11 4:54 am - Des Moines, WA
I do! I do!

I love it and am very very happy with the decision, after all the problems I have had with the band so I decided to divorce the band.   I regained about 25 lbs and I felt very gross.  I hated puking and missed eating chicken, and good protein and sick of eating junk food because it was the only thing that could go down without puking.

My surgeon was very very supportive.  He even congratulated me on winning the appeal after being denied the first time. 

He said it was a very easy case, no problems, no damages, found nothing wrong with the band, it just doesn't work for everyone (most).

I am down a little over 10 lbs so far! YAY I had revision from band to bypass same time on August 1st.  The recovery was a little harder especially the first day but it does get better.   I slept most of the day the first day, and i didn't feel like watching tv, reading, etc, just loved my droid and facebook! LOL 

Go for it and you will be happy!

246 in Dec 2008 before banded 1/28/09 at 215 lbs, band crapped 9/09 at 170 lbs and struggled with it and regained to 203 revised to bypass on 8/1/11 and am very happy.

Asteph2424
on 6/3/12 9:52 am - WA
 I was wondering how your lifestyle or eating habits are different now after the bypass.

(deactivated member)
on 8/12/11 10:02 am
Have you looked into the DS? I have a band that has caused me lots of issues, working on the process to have it removed and get a DS. You have to decide what's right for you but for me, I'm chosing the DS because it has the best long term results.

Check out the RNY board and the DS board and do some research to see what's best for you.

Best of luck!!!
Most Active
Recent Topics