Please share how you researched a surgeon

cowgirlJane
on 8/19/11 1:47 am
I understand that all revisions are higher risk/more complications then original surgery so finding the right surgeon is critical.  I met with a surgeon who came highly recommended to me, but I could not get comfortable as I felt I could never get specific info from him about risks and number of revisions he has done.  I have a failed band and was looking into revision and he told me that the only surgery for me was the RNY becuase I had already failed with a restrictive procedure.  He correctly predicted that my band had slipped and I believe him to be technically competent based on center of excellence and hearing from his patients at a support group, but I really don't want RNY procedure.

I went on hold on the whole topic for 6+ months then I started learning more about the gastric sleeve.  I feel much more comfortable with that surgery and really, it is the only one I am considering.  I understand that it is step one of the DS, so that revision could be possible down the road, but I am just not ready for that step in the near term.  (i am a total baby about medical procedures, all tests and surgeries scare the crud out of me.  I am freaked out about just having my slipped band removed)

Anyway, I found a local surgeon that has a very complete aftercare and support system which I really wanted (didn't get with the band 10 years ago out of country).  People rave about him and he is a genuinly nice guy.  I liked that he was super straight about the higher complication rates for a revision - it shook me up, but I am glad to know that going in....

Anyway, my question is, how do I some how verify a surgeons credentials?  He has 10  years bariatric experience, used to do alot of bands, now does a lot of band revisions to the sleeve.  I swear though, it is easier to research buying a new car or appliance then it is to research a surgeon's qualifications.  All I really have is what he and his office have told me. ... and a few very enthusiastic patients of course.  Can someone point me in the direction to get some kind of info on a surgeon in WA state that is outside of what the surgeon's office tells you?
(deactivated member)
on 8/21/11 10:30 pm
Hi Jane,

Let me say one thing before I discuss the doctor search - take another look at the DS.  Just be positive that your surgery is the right one.  Statistics show that if you have failed on one restrictive procedure (the Band) you are like to fail on another (the Sleeve).  You might need a malabsortive portion to really lose.  That being said, I'm with ya on the RNY.  Not a great thing to do.  Also, if you are doing the sleeve, and it doesn't work, you said you leave the option for DS open.  Well now you are having TWO complicated abdominal surgeries.  Don't go into your sleeve with that attitude, it's not a good thing.  Research them ALL, go on PubMed, ask around the boards and really learn. 

Okay, regarding the doctor.  I am also a pre-op Band revision patient.  Since I am having the DS done, I went on the DS board and looked around.  They all said to go to dsfacts.com so I did.  They have a list of vetted surgeons on there that are comfortable with the DS.  See if there is something similar for the other surgeries (I don't think there is but it's worth checking out).

However, you are having a revision which is different.  Revising from the band, according to my surgeon, is a highly complex surgical procedure so you want someone with experience in revisions. 

Pick out a few surgeons and then go talk to them.  Ask questions about how many surgeries they've done, how many revisions, mortality and morbidity rate, etc.  Search the names of the physicians on the boards, talk to prior patients, etc.  It's a lot of work to choose the right doctor but it's the most important thing you are going to do in this process so don't ru**** 

Best of luck in your journey!
cowgirlJane
on 8/22/11 3:41 am
Thank you for the info!  I did ask the doctor and his information all sounds good, just haven't been able to find any external info.  It is nice that the DSFACTS has information on surgeons, but of course there are many fewer DS surgeons so I don't thing anything like that exists for other surgeries.

At this point, I am not interested in the RNY or DS, and perhaps never would be.   I really can't imagine ever doing the gastric bypass as I don't feel it is the right procdure for me.
Most Active
Recent Topics