UHC says Revision BMI has to be 40 and over

giahall
on 9/6/11 8:41 am - Tampa, FL
DS on 10/08/12
 It has been about 8 years since my Gastric Surgery. At first I lost about 50-60 lbs. Now my appetite and weight has increased drastically! UHC says that to get a initial or revision surgery I have to be at a 40 BMI or greater. And it makes no sense! I need to find a way around UHC/my employer extreme criteria.  Anyone ever ran into this problem? Please advise/suggestions.
(deactivated member)
on 9/7/11 8:32 pm
Frankie
on 9/8/11 2:20 am - NY

Gia, I am currently revising from RNY (7 years post op) to DS on 9/26.  I have Oxford which is under the UHC umbrella.  When the surgeon's office submitted by information I was denied because my BMI was 38.2.  My surgeon's office had a peer to peer review and I was finally approved. I kept gaining weight (not intentionally) and my surgeon made a great appeal to my case.  In the end my BMI ended up over 40 due to the fact my RNY failed me.  Speak with your surgeon and let the office help you also take a look at your policy to see whats in it regarding revisions.

Good luck to you.
Frankie

giahall
on 9/8/11 2:27 am - Tampa, FL
DS on 10/08/12
 Thanks for responding to my post. As for what I would like to revise to. I have been reading up on numerous ways. However I would like to sit down with the surgeon that I choose. And see what option is the best route to go. My first surgery, I only lost about 50 to 60 lbs. That surgery was approved by another insurance company thru a previous employer. Now I am questioning if my stomach has stretched. And the insurance company that I now have have those strict guidelines. But I do have hope. The surgeon that I will be seeing. His office says that the physician can write a letter to appeal any decision. 
Most Active
Recent Topics