Question about RNY revision

ladylion2001
on 9/11/11 12:48 am - Baltimore, MD
Hi,
I had my surgery in December 2004.  I am now in process to have revision to my surgery.  I am in month five (of six) of my documentation and would love to hear from anyone who has had the RNY surgery revision.  How was it different from the first time.  Did you feel better prepared?  What was the outcome of the second surgery?  Any information would be greatly appreciated.  Also, if you know of a good place for more info about this topic that would be great too.
(deactivated member)
on 9/11/11 4:54 am
I had my original RNY surgery July 2008 and a revision RNY on August 1 2011.  What kind of revision are you having?  My surgeon made my pouch and opening smaller.  I lost 20 lbs. within the first 3 weeks and nothing since.  Actually I gained 5 lbs once I came off the liquid portion of the diet.  For me the surgery was worth it, because my labs were showing me as being diabetic with is never good. 

My weight at the time of the revision was 154 lbs. and my weight now is 138, which was always my goal.  If you have more than a little bit of weight to loose, I would suggest a different type of revision.  Good luck.

Sherline
Suzanne H.
on 9/11/11 7:12 am - Warminster, PA
I am having a revision from RNY to distal bypass on Sept 19th.  I will tell you 99.5 % of the people on here will tell you to go from RNY to DS.  That was not an option for me from the doctor I have chosen because I was an open RNY so he chooses not to do DS because of the risk.  I was told many people on here who did not have the distal bypass not to do it, even a few who did. However privately other people who have written me have told me differently. They don't like to post publicly because of all the criticism. Vitalady is the only one I have found who did this type revision who will post openly good things about this revision choice.  I have also found that many people including myself stop posting or looking on this site after they have had their operation for awhile so it is hard to find a lot of people with different type situations.   I have "met" 2 people who have had excellent results and I like my doctor a lot.  I will tell you my doctor did tell me I would have better results with the DS. However he also feels I will have good results with the distal bypass.  That  being said why settle for good vs. great.   My answer to that is my 2 & 3 year old need me here, so it is not just my health & life I am risking unlike the 1st time.  I also believe with all my heart, I am going to do everything I can to my turn my good results to great!

Whatever you decide, I wish you the best of luck & success.
(deactivated member)
on 9/11/11 10:00 am
Your reply has helped me more than you will ever know.  Thank you seems like such a small statement, but trust me it goes a long way.

The reason I stated that is because since I had my revision I have made a conscience decision not to post about my revision due to the negative remarks.  I understand I will not lose weight at the rate of my first RNY, but I have promised myself to stick to the plan and do my part.  Six weeks later and I am very happy with my results.  If I lose more great, but if I don't my surgery was still a success because I am no longer a diabetic.

Good luck to you and your revision.

Sherline
Suzanne H.
on 9/11/11 11:33 am - Warminster, PA
Sherline,
You look great!  I could only pray to get even close to where you are.  I know most people on here post what I take as negative comments because they want to offer what they believe to be good advice.  I don't think most people are trying to be malicious.  However so much is based on hearsay or opinions of "what they heard".  I wish people wouldn't do that because it really confuses people.  Sometimes its hard to know what is fact & what is opinion.

Keep up the good work.  Please feel free to let me know how you are doing, good and bad.  I promise not be critical.
ladylion2001
on 9/11/11 11:54 am - Baltimore, MD

Hi ladies,

Thanks for your responses.  I am having my stomach made smaller again...a revision of my original surgery.  I'm not sure that this has a name...does it?  I had an EKG I think it was called where the surgeon looked at my pouch and he said that it was possible.  I was about 396 when I had my first surgery...I lost 125 and then started gaining again...my hope was that this would help me actually get to my goal weight.  Only losing 20 pounds would not be great for me.  I have a lot more to lose than you did I think. LOL  For you, I think that is awesome...I need to lose like 20 x 5 and then some! LOL 

Suzanne, I wish you the best on your upcoming surgery!! So exciting!

Suzanne H.
on 9/11/11 1:30 pm - Warminster, PA
A stomphyX makes the stomach smaller.  The band would make it smaller. I know there are others too but don't know them off the top of my head. I am by no means a master of knowledge when it comes to these surgeries.   I suggest you talk to a doctor who is experienced in revisions.  I too have 100+ lbs to lose still.    I made my choice & think it is right for me.  That does not mean it would be right for you.  I can tell you I went to my original doctor, and another doctor *****ferred me to the doctor I have chosen.  All of them told me the stomphyX (not sure I am spelling it correctly) would not give me a huge weight loss but would help me lose some, not to mention insurance does not usually cover that procedure.  Like you, 20 lbs was not an option for me.  Some would say the option I chose is not for them and that I may get the same result.  I choose not to believe them.  DS is the one most people are going to tell you is the cadillac of revision surgeries as they put it. 

Thank you for your well wishes. I hope you can join me soon with a second chance.
Most Active
Recent Topics