Confused

bobo05
on 9/20/11 11:03 am
I have been approved for a gastric revision and after reviewing many message I see there are several types of revision. I called my Dr today to see what type of revision I was having and I was told it was a gastric revision done by lap. I asked if it was a Rose, Ds or etc and told again it was a gastric revision. I had my gastric done 6 years ago and have gained 50 pouds and I am hungry all the time. The upper GI showed my small intestine has expanded and needs to be trimed and a patch placed over the expanded portion. Any commnets?
Hislady
on 9/21/11 8:36 am - Vancouver, WA
I'd be finding a different doc if their staff is so stupid they don't know what surgery you are having. All gastric means is stomach! It doesn't tell what is being done to it, heck they could tie it itn knots and it would still be "gastric" surgery. Personally I wouldn't deal with someone this evasive about my procedure, you have the right to know exactly what they are doing to you!
bobo05
on 9/21/11 9:08 am

I had this problem with the staff back in 05 when I had the RYN, the Dr is good but the staff is really bad. I will call again and try to reach his assistant or someone else. Thanks

airbender
on 9/21/11 10:05 am
so you went to the dr for a revision and you don't know what you want?  to be approved they would have had to submit and use a specific code for a specific WLS?  the insurance co should also send you an approval letter.   what revision did you ask for?  make sure you get what you want.  call the dr's office and ask for a call back from the surgeon, forget about dealing with the office staff, this is your precious body.....wishing you great success with your revision
goodkel
on 9/21/11 6:40 pm
What revision do you want? It is YOUR decision, not your surgeon's.

Throwing this blindly into someone else's hands is just setting you up for another failure.

Do some research on revisions, find a surgeon with experience doing what you'd like, and proceed from there.
Check out my profile: http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/goodkel/
Or click on my name
DS SW 265 CW 120 5'7"

bobo05
on 9/22/11 6:43 am
Finally got an answer - I will be having a gastrojejunostomy.
smileyjamie72
on 9/22/11 6:52 am - Palmer, AK

I copied & pasted this from Wikipedia.com:

A gastroenterostomy is the surgical creation of a connection between the stomach and the jejunum. The operation can sometimes be performed at the same time as a partial gastrectomy (the removal of part of the stomach). Gastroenterostomy was in the past typically performed to treat peptic ulcers, but today is usually carried out to enable food to pass directly to the small intestine, bypassing a damaged duodenum. The procedure is becoming less common, due to advances in the treatment of ulcers, new antibiotics and drugs.

Please research this!!!!
-Jamie

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 9/23/11 3:21 am
I would not, under any cir****tances allow that procedure to be done on me!!

PLEASE do some research, and find a new surgeon. 

JEJUNOILEAL BYPASS

The first operations designed solely for the purpose of weight loss were initially performed in the 1950s at the University of Minnesota. The jejunoileal bypass (JIB) induced a state of malabsorption by bypassing most of the intestines while keeping the stomach intact. Although the weight loss with the JIB was good, too many patients developed complications such as diarrhea, night blindness (from vitamin A deficiency), osteoporosis (from vitamin D deficiency), protein-calorie malnutrition, and kidney stones. Some of the most worrisome complications were associated with the toxic overgrowth of bacteria in the bypassed intestine. These bacteria then caused liver failure, severe arthritis, skin problems, and flu-like symptoms. Consequently, many patients have required reversal of the procedure.

The JIB is no longer a recommended bariatric surgical procedure. The lessons learned from the JIB include the crucial importance of long-term follow-up and the dangers of a permanent, severe and global malabsorption. Long-term follow-up by experienced bariatric surgeons is strongly recommended for all patients who have had a JIB in the past.

REFERENCES

Jejunoileal bypass

Kremen, AJ, Linner JH, et al. An experimental evaluation of the nutritional importance of proximal and distal small intestine. Ann Surg 1954;140:439-48.

Griffen Jr, WO, Bivins, BA, et al. The decline and fall of jejunoileal bypass. Surg Gynecol Obstet 1983;157:301-8.

MsBatt
on 9/23/11 6:38 am
On September 22, 2011 at 1:43 PM Pacific Time, bobo05 wrote:
Finally got an answer - I will be having a gastrojejunostomy.
OMG---WHY???

I didn't think anyone still did this procedure. Under the name JIB (jejuno-ilieal bypass) this procedure KILLED a lot of people. Nearly everyone who had one either died or had a reversal.

Please, PLEASE see another surgeon!!!
bobo05
on 9/22/11 9:21 am
I can see I have alot of work cut out for me. It would be nice if I was closer to the Dr to go by for a visit but I have moved from Ocala to Jacksoonville, over 2 hour drive. It does not do any other revisions, feels they are too risky and not what is needed in my case. My pouch is still small it is the small intestine that has enlarged. I will not lose weight like I did with my RYN but at least I will not be sick in the bathroom all the time. I appreciate all the comments and help.
Most Active
Recent Topics