Medicare and revision

Lois G.
on 11/3/11 11:07 pm - Ashland, PA
Does anyone know if Medicare will cover a revision...had rny four years ago, never made goal...
kkharriss
on 11/4/11 4:59 am - San Antonio, TX
RNY on 01/11/12
I am going through the process right now, I have been told that it will not.  Some have said that it does in their state, but in Texas I have been told it does not.  But that being said, I am still giving it a good fight.  I finally have a Dr. appointment with the surgeon I have been wanting to see.  It took me almost a month to get an appointment, because I have Medicare and need a revision. 

I would call your surgeons office and ask what their experience has been.  I would be interested in hearing what happens. 

Good luck,
Kelley
Hislady
on 11/4/11 12:48 pm - Vancouver, WA
I think it may vary depending on the state tho I'm not sure. The best way to find out would be to contact your local office and ask them. Good luck to you!
Paula R.
on 11/4/11 3:35 pm, edited 11/4/11 3:36 pm - Portland, OR
There have been a number of people who have had revision surgery covered by Medicare.  I think it depends on whether you have straight Medicare (if thats the right term) or Medicare being administered through a secondary insurance company.  I have straight  Medicare myself and was told that my upcoming surgery would be covered provided I meet the following qualifications:

1)  BMI greater than 35
2) Documented medical history of previous failed weight loss attempts
3) Have at least 1 comorbidity
4) Surgery is performed at a Medicare designated Center of Excellence

Now keep in mind that Medicare no longer pre-authorizes anything, so you will have to sign a piece of paper with whatever surgeon you select that says you will be responsible for the bill if Medicare denies the claim after the fact.  But I also hear that doesnt happen very often either.  I did speak with a representative at Medicare when I was first looking at revision surgery and the above criteria I told you was what they told me. 

My signature is in the witness protection program

pandavenise
on 11/5/11 3:02 pm
 i have medicare-medical and had a revision from lap to RNY. Mine was only a month ago. My doctor didn't seem to worried because he does a lot the cases. I did though have to sign a papper saying that I would cover the bill for the lapband removal if it wasn't covered. I haven't had medicare no pay for anything else yet so good luck. Medicare is a federal program so it shouldn't change from state to state.

jess0308
on 12/3/11 3:06 am - Blountsville, AL
I have medicare through BCBS in Alabama, and mine was approved and I had my surgery on Mon. the 28th, I too had to sign the paper, but I think that is standard. I was approved in less than two weeks.
mschef32
on 12/3/11 6:20 am - lodi, NJ
i hope i get approved fast like that i want to get the revision surgery
MsBatt
on 12/3/11 7:26 am
From what, to what? Medicare covers the DS, and I highly recommend it. (*grin*)
mschef32
on 12/3/11 10:57 am - lodi, NJ
in 2005 i had the gastric bypass done then in 2006 of december i had my oldest daughter then in 2009 of december i had my youngest daughter . before i had my gilrs i lost 100 lbs but after having them i put the weight back on i tried weigh****ches and other stuff so i decided that i wanted to do the revision surgery im going to a seminar on dec 14.
Most Active
Recent Topics