Cigna Denied Me

Trob1977
on 11/8/11 10:07 pm, edited 11/8/11 10:10 pm - Jacksonville, FL
VSG on 04/03/12
i was denied to have a revision from the lap band to the sleeve. Cigna stated that looking at the upper GI the band is in place correctly.  I am very upset because the xray can't tell them how i gag/puke every time i eat and the bad acid refluxes that i have due to this band. Can someone give me advice on how to appeal this. I have had this lap band for 5 years in the beginning i lose only 20lbs. Over the years I have gained those 20lbs back and I have have not lost any weight since.

Hislady
on 11/9/11 11:56 am - Vancouver, WA
I hear you I've had the same issues with the band, 20 lb. loss and major heartburn. I finally just had it emptied and am just waiting till I can get insurance that will cover revision to the sleeve. I would keep appealing and have your docs stress the reflux and gagging, that is a bad for your whole body. I wish you good luck!!!
Lori F.
on 11/12/11 11:28 am - Chula Vista, CA
Hi there. I'm a Cigna denial too. I have appealed twice and now I have a Independent Medical Review with the Department of Managed Health Care in CA due to close next week. You HAVE TO appeal. They deny on the first go- around almost always, from what I understand. I also puke almost daily but Cigna found "no mechanical failure" of my band. I guess it's just my defective body!

I can send you my appeal info if you want. PM me and I'll send it along. I can also help you prepare it, if you want.

What are the reasons for your denial? Read your denial very carefully and send me all of the reasons they give (usually it's more than one).  Better yet, send me your letter. Anyway, I spent months on my appeal so I have some recent articles for support here. Don't give up!
Pre-band highest weight: 244
Pre-band surgery weight: 233
Lowest: 199 ( for, like, a day)
CW:
260 (yes, with the band!) 
Current Fill: 5cc in 10cc band
BMI: 49
Most Active
Recent Topics