Band over Bypass...in 3 days

melissaflgirl
on 6/17/12 8:49 am - Fl
 Well, Ive been thinking about this since January...I am now 3 days from my surgery and I am scared and excited..but this isn't my "first rodeo".

In 1998.... I was 380lbs and became a clinical trial for the RNY Gastric Bypass with Silastic Ring.  The ring was being tested to see if it would hold nutrition in the stomach longer for absorbtion.  The RNY worked perfectly...I lost 180lbs.  The ring...well...it has been a problem since 2001.

In 2005, the slipped and strangled my intestine which required surgery.  I barely survived.  I had major complications including a heart attack and bloating of the unused stomach.

I have matained my weight loss for all these years but have not made it to my goal weight.  I am hoping this new restriction is the extra tool in the arsenal that I need to make it to my goal weight.

I know this is going to be difficult...I have been racing triathlon for 12 years since my bypass and I have given up the rest of my season of racing to do this procedure and get to my goal weight.  I have scaled back my workouts but hope to return to swimming, biking and running 2 weeks after surgery.

I guess I am hoping that some of you can give me insight into how you handled the liquids only part of your journey.  Just staying on a baratric diet PRIOR to surgery has been hard.  Any insight would be appreciated!! 

Melissa
JennLyric
on 6/18/12 1:23 am
 Hi Melissa:

I'm on the pre-op shakes now, but my surgery to revise from Lapband to RNY is on 6/29.  This part is SO hard.  I started out by not eating enough in my one meal and I was getting kind of sick.  Almost passed out at Target.  I fixed that problem.

I wish you well in your surgery.  This is not an easy journey, is it??  I'm sure that this will be much smoother than what you went through!

Please keep us updated after your surgery.  You'll do beautifully.

Jennifer
heathercross
on 6/18/12 9:50 am - New York, NY
 Melissa, its really wasn't tough for me. I did 2 wks of liquids before and 1 week after.  You hopefully wouldn't be hungry as I was not and it wouldn't be a big deal  
melissaflgirl
on 6/24/12 11:16 pm - Fl
 Hey Folks....5 days from the surgery and today I feel pretty good.  Aside from the air in my body cavity, I feel fairly normal and I understand that the band is all about it being a tool and not a "silver bullet" to get me to my goal.

There is A LOT of banter back and forth on this board about the failure of gastric bypass but I am so happy with mine.  I just felt the need to have a new tool to get me to my goal weight.  I am 50 pounds away (ok...so now Im about 47 pounds away) and i think I can do that by Christmas if I can get my exercise program working.

Thank you thank you for your positive and kind responses to this post.  I got some on the other board (LAP Band) that shocked me.  I feel like this is a gift...I just have to use the tool the way it was intended.

All the best..

Melissa
csanddex
on 7/5/12 2:14 pm
 I have been bob for 2 years now. I was 218 when I had it and am now 175. At my smallest with rny I was 162 for about 5 minutes. I had 1 fill of half a cc or something small after gaining 10 lbs last summer. After the fill it came off and I've been holding steady. I'd love to lose another 50 but am not that committed. I pretty much eat what I like and should exercise more.. Ehhh.. I am a size 14 which is a thrill and can shop where I want.  I am comfortable at this weight. I am happy with the bob, 2 years out of the rny I had started gaining and no matter what I did could not turn it around. When I gained the 10 last year it freaked me out but came off once I got the fill. The research supports it ( see my previous post with actual data). There are a lot of folks who feel the only option should be revision to ds but I didn't have the money and that is a huge surgery with crazy risk of complication. Bob has worked for me and I would recommend it. I was happy to see Carnie got one earlier this year.. And had been wondering why she hadn't earlier. It's probably hard to have your entire life defined by the surgery..
(deactivated member)
on 7/11/12 2:56 am - Hockessin, DE
Revision on 03/01/12
Melissa,

I hope you are doing well post surgery.  I had my BOB on March 1st of this year and stayed on liquids for 30 days after.  It was a piece of cake for me as I did not feel like eating at all.  As a matter of fact I had a hard time getting all the liquid in.  I lost most of my excess weight in that time and am thrilled with the results.  I like that I can eat what I want but just in very small portions.  The biggest challenge for me has been eating too fast or too big of bites and eating foods that get stuck.  I have learned the hard way what to stay away from.  Please take a look at my blog if you want information on my first weeks post op.  Best of luck to you!
Most Active