Can anyone help me? Need to revise a RNY

Candie1420
on 7/4/12 3:19 pm - WA
 Hello,
I am seeking advice on a revision of an RNY.  I had a RNY in 2000 and weighed 285, I lost got down to 123.  I saw myself starting to gain weight and in 2003 I was up to 185 I went to my doctor seeking a revision and he ended up finding a hernia so I had surgery. Fast forward to 2012, I am now am up to 220. My doctor(a different ) one from the first two surguries told me that essentially he could not perform a revision to the RNY because essentially I had no pouch to work with. The only option for me was to move my "tubes" around to create more malabsorption. He said that right now it is as if I don't even have a RNY. If I had this revision, it means I can't eat fatty foods and you need to take heavy vitamins for the rest of your life. Since I am only 34, this prospect seems lie an option, but I am a little scared of future ramifications of this type of revision. Has this ever happened to anyone out there?  What were the results?

Thank you!
Luvsdaislands
on 7/5/12 3:11 am - Landover, MD
so you have no stomach at all... I am not understanding.

I had a RNY over a RNY...my surgeon cut and removed my ulcers, cut my pouch smaller and re-routed my intesines to that pouch.

Only look back in life to know where you DON'T want to go

Candie1420
on 7/5/12 3:24 am - WA
 Yes, essentially I have no stomach at all which is why he can't revise the pouch. He said he was very surprised at the findings at the endoscopy. 

Thanks for any advice!
TallDarknRalph
on 7/5/12 10:58 am
 i just had my RNY revised last week...depending on the pouch, if it grew a revision is in order and available...if that may not work, you maybe able to convert to a DS...which is what i wantd, but couldnt have done as my first operation cut the pouch too low...good luck to you
MsBatt
on 7/7/12 8:58 am
Was it Dr. Gagner who told you this, or was he the one who did your original surgery?

Normally when the RNY is done, the stomach is divided into a small pouch and a huge remnant stomach. Did they remove your remnant stomach for some reason? When revising an RNY to a DS, the surgeon puts the pouch and the remnant stomach back together, like they were pre-op---then he does a sleeve gastrectomy on the newly-rebuilt stomach and changes around the small intestine to the DS configuration.

I'm not certain what your surgeon is proposing to do to you that will make you unable to eat fatty foods. We DSers eat a LOT of fat, but only absorb about 20% of it, and we do take a pretty heavy vitamin schedule. On the other hand, the DS has the very best long-term, maintained weight-loss stats, period.
Most Active