Sleeve,reflux,RNY

bandarella
on 7/26/12 6:07 pm - Bayonne, NJ
Revision on 06/19/12
I see many people who had their band removed for a sleeve and stated, they developed horrid acid reflux. It was only cured by RNY. But, nobody can explain why it supposedly cures it. Anyone have any solid facts on this?

Phyllis  

Using a touch screen on my IPad, excuse any typos. 

MsBatt
on 7/27/12 8:46 am
RNY is the go-to surgery for reflux, but it doesn't always cure it. If you didn't develop reflux while you had the Band, then I wouldn't worry about getting it with the Sleeve---the Band is notorious for causing GERD.

The reasoning behind the RY 'curing' GERD is that the stomach pouch is so tiny and produces so little acid that there's nothing TO reflux. In spite of that, some people manage to still have reflux.

I have a DS, and it completely cured my GERD. But---I got my DS 8.5 years ago, and I have a larger sleeve than you'd get with a stand-alone Sleeve today. As surgeons have started making stand-alone Sleeves smaller and smaller, we've seen more and more Sleevers with reflux.
Hislady
on 7/27/12 9:25 am - Vancouver, WA
It seems to be a very individual thing, the sleeve does tend to cause more acid just because the stomach is smaller but some have also gotten rid of their reflux with the sleeve. So it's hard to tell, most everyone with the sleeve seems to use a PPI to lessen the acid and for many that is enough. So it kinda depends on the person.
bandarella
on 7/27/12 12:34 pm - Bayonne, NJ
Revision on 06/19/12
I did have reflux from the band. It was controlled with medication. Since the bands been out, it rarely bothers me. I guess I'll have to take my chances with the sleeve & future GERD problems. I am as adamant today as when I first researched WLS in 2005, I do not want RNY.

Phyllis  

Using a touch screen on my IPad, excuse any typos. 

Delia Montalvo
on 8/7/12 2:05 am - San Antonio, TX
I had had lap band to sleeve revision a year ago, then about 3-4 months later developed a horrible acid reflux that would wake me up choking with that acidity taste, ugh!! Dr. said that because the band leaves scar tissue around the area where it was placed it tends to get in the way of food flowing through easily, thus causing reflux. So I underwent RNY last week, doing well and hopefully that is the end of that problem.

Good luck to you and your decision for further treatment.
Most Active
Recent Topics