X post- update on my complicated not sleeve surgery

scarlettbegonias
on 7/31/12 4:00 pm - Australia
RNY on 10/19/12
  I'm still in hospital,coming up on a week now. I had my drains removed yesterday which is FANTASTIC,I do have some blistering on my stomach where the brain pipe stuff was taped to me, I was severely bloated as they were putting 200ml in per hour and it wasn't all coming back out- the fluid retention is going down now

The nasal gastric tube coming out was disgusting- my nose is pretty cut up.

Finally found out today what part of my stomach was removed- the rough diagram shows a triangle like wedge removed from he middle.
Are you thinking how the **** Because I am!!

The surgeon has said I will be unable to be sleeved but gastric plication or resectional gastric bypass may be on the cards- I'm getting a second opinion.
I went into this fully aware that there were risks- this wasn't one I was expecting!!

I came of clear liquids today it was suggested I try mushys tomorrow- not happening.

If anyone's heard of anything remotely like this can you please let me know 

Thanks  

Band placed April '08 four years of hell-Band removed may '12~Non VSG July 26 '12. All went to hell~RNY on the 19th october '12~Leak & infection 26th october '12 ~infection 24th November '12, 2 weeks hospital~infection 25th dec '12 4 days ~30/5/13 hernia repair 4 days~hw120/sw/115/gw/58kg

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/1/12 1:55 am
Sory to hear that. Hope you can have something done.  Please kep us posted.
(HUGS)
Hala

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

scarlettbegonias
on 8/1/12 7:14 am - Australia
RNY on 10/19/12
 Thanks Hala
I get to go home today which will be great - the hospitals liquid diet is much higher in carb than I wanted to do!
I think I'll be round the revisions board for some time!

Band placed April '08 four years of hell-Band removed may '12~Non VSG July 26 '12. All went to hell~RNY on the 19th october '12~Leak & infection 26th october '12 ~infection 24th November '12, 2 weeks hospital~infection 25th dec '12 4 days ~30/5/13 hernia repair 4 days~hw120/sw/115/gw/58kg

Hislady
on 8/1/12 7:12 am - Vancouver, WA
I think not only would I be looking for a second opinion I'd be looking for a good lawyer! That sounds insane to me. If he could take out a wedge why not do a full sleeve. Please don't let him do a plication on you, I've read nothing but bad about them and they really aren't designed to be a long term thing. Mostly to get people down to where they can get a long term surgery. Why can't they go ahead and finish the sleeve? This guy sounds like a wack job. I sure hope you are able to find a competant doctor to finish your surgery,I'd be running as fast as I could from this jerk! Good luck to you!
scarlettbegonias
on 8/1/12 7:24 am - Australia
RNY on 10/19/12
 Hi hislady

Im so glad other people think tis is insane - my husband and I are dumbfounded by it!

The reason(that I'm understanding) that I can't be sleeved is because of blood flow- he cut through we're the sleeve would go and then had to remove that section and then stitch it back together- I'm hoping the other surgeon I'm going to see will be able to sleeve it after Iv let it heal.
As for the plication I'd come across that before so when he suggested it I snorted at him, my reasoning is that if it's going to "look" like a sleeve it's going to be a sleeve.

The scary thing is he's a very respected surgeon, head surgeon here and everyone thinks the sun shines out his ass. Not my surgeon anymore!

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/1/12 7:49 am
Request all documents and all reposrt from the surgery - and operating room.  Maybe you you can contact a layer that is familiar with surgery issue and he - she cn advice you what doc you need to ask for.  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

He who can't be Named
on 8/1/12 8:01 am
I don't blame you for wondering what the F he did. I'd consider consulting a lawyer, and I would NOT allow your current surgeon to to **** you up further by doing any other surgeries. I would not allow gastric plication no matter what, and gastric bypass is less desirable than a sleeve.

Second and third opinions are what you need, and by surgeons that are experience in real revisions, not just making everything into gastric bypass.

Some times dingle berries are the lowest hanging fruit.  
gorditabonita
on 8/1/12 11:40 am - Springfield, VA
VSG on 01/23/13 with
So sorry to hear about your nightmare. You will be in my thoughts and prayers, for sure. I am headed down your same path next week. Boy, it is crazy to think that these types of dr's are out there.

Please keep me posted!!!

HW - 287 (12/2007); GW - 165; CW - 164....proudly wearing a size 8!On my journey from LapBand to VSG.....LapBand on 12/19/07, LapBand removal on 8/8/12 and sleeve on1/23/13! Consider joining me at Band2Sleeve!( http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Band2Sleeve/)  Friend me on MyFitnessPal too! I'm gorditabonita74.

MARIA F.
on 8/5/12 3:47 pm - Athens, GA

Hugs! Sounds like you have been through hell. Keep us updated on what the new Dr. says.

FormerlyFluffy.com

Most Active
Recent Topics