Band to RNY

Rebecca F.
on 10/30/12 7:45 am

I have read some about this on here.  I have heard people say that they have the band removed and then the RNY at a different time.  Is this typical?  I just thought they did it all at once, taking the band out and doing the RNY in the same surgery.

(deactivated member)
on 10/30/12 9:58 am - Wiesbaden, Germany
DS on 10/08/13

Depends.  When you have the band removed, you might need to heal first before revising to anything.

I had band to sleeve done in one fell swoop.

pineview01
on 10/30/12 1:23 pm - Davison, MI

Some seam to want you to have the band out.  Heal from it.  Than get the revision surgery.  Some do it all at once.  It seems to be about half and half.  I wanted mine done at the same time but the surgeon didn't want to.  Now, I am glad he didn't as many that have had it all at once had issues.  Also the band removal wasn't as bad as the original surgery so isn't twice as bad.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

(deactivated member)
on 10/30/12 11:20 pm - Wiesbaden, Germany
DS on 10/08/13

My insurance wanted me to do it in two steps (which is why I ended up self-paying for the sleeve portion) due to the healing issue.  However, both my surgeon and I felt, after having been unfilled for 10 months, the healing should have already been accomplished.  It's a judgment call.  Although it was a really stressful period, I am thankful for that extended period of being unfilled in retrospect.  Had it not occurred, I don't think I would have been able to do the revision in one fell swoop.

Zee Starrlite
on 11/1/12 2:18 am, edited 11/1/12 2:19 am

Pineview, 

You'll just have a couple of more poke marks on your stomach!!!  Damned, mine look like a war has gone on.  My first surgeon burned me with an instrument ( an extra mark! fun).  Ugh, I'm looking at my tummy now.  I'm so vain.  Not though, I usually don't pay attention and my boyfriend looks like a boy but has over 40 vision so no biggie there (probably sees nice smooth abs - not a single stretch mark).  My sweet surgeon gave me the coolest belly button incision - not even like scarring.  Let me count 'em - 7 pokes belly button included so like 6.  My port sight was opened 3 times!

Damned that Lap Band  I didn't know that it required so many surgeries, so many tests, so much medical care!

Yep, I think it is a blessing to not have a revision during my time of band removal.  I am saying this for me.  I believe for me it allowed my insides to heal a bit.

Good Day,

Layla

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

pineview01
on 11/1/12 9:54 am - Davison, MI

I got five incisions with the band and they reused  four of them to take it out.  I have been told they would use the same five for the sleeve.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Amanda S.
on 10/31/12 2:54 am - VA
RNY on 02/13/12

I had my band removed and revised to RNY in one surgery. It took my surgeon about 2.5 hours and I had no complications then or now (I'm almost 9 months out from surgery). I was unfilled for over a year prior to my revision, however.

Pre-Surgery Weight: 253 lbs.
Current Weight: 135-140 lbs.

Rebecca F.
on 10/31/12 5:05 am

I think I have about 6 or 7 ccs right now.  I will have to ask him for sure, but he did not say anything about being unfilled or removed before the RNY.  We'll see what insurance says. I hope it can be down together because I am not sure work would want me gone 2x.  How long is the recovery after it is removed?

MsBatt
on 10/31/12 7:11 am

While you still have a relatively intact stomach, you might want to consider revising to the DS rather than the RNY. The DS has the very best long-term, maintained weight-loss stats for patients of any size, but this is especially true for those of us with a BMI greater than 50---and you've already had one form of WLs fail you.

Think twice, cut once.

pineview01
on 10/31/12 10:43 am - Davison, MI

I would make sure it is unfilled awhile if you want it done in one.  I know they don't make you always but, for your own good.

Most Active