Band failure to VSG insurance approval

ShariB
on 11/6/12 10:13 am - North East, OH

I had a Lap-Band placed in 2007, it eroded and was removed in 2011. I was very successful with the band and had no problems until it eroded. I am now gaining weight and I have decided I want to have a sleeve.

Anyone that has had a band failure and revision to VSG, what was the insurance approval process like?  Did you have to go through the 6-12 month supervised diet again? And the same psychological clearance again?

Blessings, Shari 

Sherrie P.
on 11/6/12 11:38 am
RNY on 02/06/13

I am converting to RNY, not the sleeve, but my approval process did include all of the original hoops. It varies though.  The best thing to do is call your insurance company.  If your insurance co only pays for 1 surgery that may be an issue. 

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

Hislady
on 11/6/12 1:07 pm - Vancouver, WA

It really does run the gamut from like starting at the beginning to no problem at all. I think the only way to find out for sure is to call your insurance. Good luck to you!!!

Kathi C.
on 11/6/12 9:33 pm - Egg Harbor Township, NJ

I'm in the process of revising from LapBand to Bypass. I wanted to revise to Sleeve, but my insurance doesn't cover the Sleeve. They also cover only one WLS in a lifetime, UNLESS the original procedure did not provide adequate weight loss, or you had weight gain while following the correct diet. Basically, you have to say what they want to hear, and prove it.

I'm waiting for my surgery date.

Be Particular  Self-respect is the most beautiful quality a woman can possess.

pineview01
on 11/8/12 3:44 am - Davison, MI

Good Luck with getting your revision.  Sorry to hear they don't cover the sleeve.  That is one reason I endured the band for 18 more months.  That was when they started covering the sleeve.  My luck they than went to the one WLS in a lifetime too.  Every time I get close I get kicked down a notch.  Still struggling ahead.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active
Recent Topics