Lap band to what? Sleeve or Gastric Bypass or what - need advice/experience

jhaskell48
on 12/4/12 3:24 am - Columbia, MD

I have been having problems with my Lap Band.  I had my surgery in 2004 and I can't say I completely failed because I was continually rising in my weight, but I didn't lose much either.  Now I am having problems with a hernia, GERD, vomiting and choking on it in my sleep, asthma and other breathing choking problems.  I also have a lot of pain in my left foot, as well as surgery, so exercise has been difficult and very painful.

My question is this, if I have the sleeve, what is so different that I can anticipate success vs. gastric bypass where a malabsorption mechanism also helps to actually lose weight and not maintain?  I apologize if this topic has been covered, but I could not find it.  I really need to lose weight because I want to try to get some of that weight off my bad foot so it will heal.

Thanks,

Joyce

smileyjamie72
on 12/4/12 4:29 am - Palmer, AK

Have you also researched the DS surgery?  It has the best long term statistics to keep off your weight!!  No pouch!!  Ability to take NSAIDS.  With the RNY you can NEVER take NSAIDS again, for life!!!

Please research!!!!

Start at DSFacts.com

I had the RNY to DS revision nearly a year ago.

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

Hislady
on 12/4/12 10:47 am - Vancouver, WA

From what I've read and why I want to revise to a sleeve is that it works the way we were lied to that the band would work but never did. You don't malabsorb which I don't want, but it does severely limit the amount of food you can eat, while it will stretch a little the stomach is basically small forever, they cut out the stretchy part of it and the part that produces grehlin so you don't have the hunger issue as bad as with the band. Plus the weight loss is about the same as the bypass if you are diligent about your food intake. After a couple of years with the bypass you start absorbing calories again and I want something permanent. So those are my reasons for wanting it, now I just have to wait till I can get insurance that will cover it.

Nichole E.
on 12/11/12 7:35 am - Chisago City, MN

Actually, I had the sleeve done 4 years ago and can tell you from first-hand experience that your stomach can stretch after.  I am now able to eat amounts of food I did prior tohaving  the surgery.  I am going to be re-sleeved in two days, but just want everyone aware of the fact that ANY and ALL weight loss surgeries can fail...I think people are quick to not believe this but you HAVE to put in work too.  Otherwise, after a couple of years you will be right back to where you started.

BrendaR1965
on 12/5/12 11:34 am - OH
VSG on 10/23/12

i totally agree with Hislady.  i went from a lapband to a sleeve and i LOVE it.  you are definately limited on your food intake and will feel when you are full..   i also had really bad acid reflux and the sleeve has taken care of that.   you can be successful with both the sleeve and the gastric bypass the diffrence is the bypass can be reversed if needed since you still have the other part of your tummy and they reroute farther down the intestines. 

MsBatt
on 12/5/12 11:23 pm

Your profile says you have a BMI of 37. I think the Sleeve would be a wonderful choice for you, and the long-term stats are about the same between the RNY and the Sleeve. The Sleeve has a lot of advantages over the RNY---it preserves the pylorus and all normal stomach function, and allows you to use NSAIDs. (If you think this is a trivial benefit, Google NSAIDs and take a look at all the medications the RNY would make you give up.)

Current theory is that malabsorption doesn't really help you LOSE weight----its major benefit is in maintaining your loss. Which makes the RNY a silly choice---the malabsorption of calories only lasts for 18-24 months, but the malabsorption of vitamins and minerals is FOREVER. This means that right about the time when you start needing the benefits of caloric malabsorption, it's gone. The only WLS that provides permanent malabsorption of calories is the DS.

If portion control is all the help you need, go with the Sleeve. If you need malabsorption, go with the DS. Read some back posts on this very board, and take note of how many people are getting their RNY revised, mostly to the DS. Then see if you can find any people getting their DS revised.

micheleladendorf
on 12/7/12 9:30 am

i am considering a revision of the ds. has anyone experienced this type of reversal surgery?

Sherrie P.
on 12/6/12 9:55 am
RNY on 02/06/13

Anything but the band... lol!!

Great answers here. I would do the DS, but my BMI was too low.

I chose RNY because I was afraid the sleeve would be like lapband part 2. I have promised myself that I am going to use the honeymoon phase to the fullest.

I don't think the sleeve is a bad choice - it sounds like exactly what the little plastic devil should  have been....

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

jhaskell48
on 12/6/12 10:54 am - Columbia, MD

This is exactly my fear as well - Lap Band, the sequel.  I only lost about 15 lbs total with the Lap Band and I now weigh more than I did with the original surgery - I went from a BMI of 37 and now am 38.  However, my co-morbidities are worse.  I don't want the same thing to happen again if I got the sleeve.  From my research, I don't think I am a candidate for DS.  The "no NSAIDS" scares me since I am in so much pain with my foot and can't hardly walk as it is.  Hopefully, if the surgeon takes my case, he can advise me with my specific situation too.  Everyone has given me a lot to think about and research.

Thanks -

Joyce

MsBatt
on 12/7/12 11:07 pm
On December 6, 2012 at 6:54 PM Pacific Time, jhaskell48 wrote:

This is exactly my fear as well - Lap Band, the sequel.  I only lost about 15 lbs total with the Lap Band and I now weigh more than I did with the original surgery - I went from a BMI of 37 and now am 38.  However, my co-morbidities are worse.  I don't want the same thing to happen again if I got the sleeve.  From my research, I don't think I am a candidate for DS.  The "no NSAIDS" scares me since I am in so much pain with my foot and can't hardly walk as it is.  Hopefully, if the surgeon takes my case, he can advise me with my specific situation too.  Everyone has given me a lot to think about and research.

Thanks -

Joyce

What makes you think you're not a candidate for the DS? If it's your BMI, not so---we have several 'light-weights' on the DS board who has their DS with a BMI around 35. Come on over and talk with some of them. And really, from all I've read the Sleeve is nothing like the Band. But if you have metabolic issues, and it sort of sounds like you do, the DS is definitely the way to go.

Most Active
Recent Topics