Revision!??

Heidi V.
on 12/13/12 2:42 pm - Cardinal, Canada
Revision on 01/13/14

Hi everyone! I had a vsg on May 2, 2011 and went from 270 pounds to 158 pounds 112 pounds sounds great and it was so close to my goal of 150 pounds. My problem is...I'm always hungry, and cravings are crazy! I have gained back 38 pounds. It's freaking me out and I have tried to remotivate myself, increase water, protein and exercise. Nothing is working because I feel empty, shaky and on edge all the time.

I think it's time for me to look into revision surgery before this gets out of hand. I so don't want to go back where I was. I need some help.

Thanks!

Heidi

Revision from sleeve to RNY is set for January 13, 2014.

Hislady
on 12/14/12 7:31 am - Vancouver, WA

That sounds like blood sugar issues to me. Perhaps you are experiencing reactive hypoglycemia it happens to lots of weight loss folks with any of the surgeries. It also can cause cravings. I wouldn't give up on your sleeve yet first get your blood sugar checked and ask about reactive hypoglycemia.

Pupcake !.
on 12/15/12 7:50 am - Stranded in, IA

You need to remember they didn't operate on our brains.

You should make an appt with a psychologist for counseling to figure out why you are having cravings before thinking about another surgery.

Reactive hypoglycemia could be a factor.  Have you increased carbs?  Are you not eating something with protein every couple of hours?

The surgery is a tool, you are just a year out.

Pup

No surgery has been harmed/defamed by the writer of this post.  
RNY 10/28/03 305# 8/11/04 147#  9 years out and >75% EWL!

tammym
on 12/18/12 6:35 am - Portland, OR
Revision on 01/16/12

Sometimes a shake up to your routine can get you back on track. My hunger cravings are severe too, and they are very physical- not in my head. Increasing water actually made things worse by increasing the capacity of my pouch.  It was a combination of many things (or maybe I just don't know which thing!) that finally worked for me.

I start the day with 4 ounces of very warm water with lemon- TRUE LEMON is a natural powdered lemon that works great and is cheap! This helps curb cravings and jump starts my metabolism for the day.

Exercise! I found the right program after trying a lot of them! Couch to 5k is the one that worked for me. If you aren't motivated by your exercise program, pick a new one. :)

Definitely look into a revision, but get the best one you can! "baby steps" are not small when it comes to surgeries! If you need a DS, don't get a band and hope for the best, only to get an RNY a few years later, and finally a DS years after that. All those years without wellness can take years off your life.  

I went from a size 22 to a 2 in ten months (with several plateaus)

pineview01
on 12/26/12 12:24 pm - Davison, MI

Another thought is acid.  Could you have silent issues which come across as hunger?  It could be as simple as needing a PPI, more or a different kind.  Check out all the simple fixes before surgery.  Many have been mentioned.  Good Luck!

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Heidi V.
on 12/26/12 6:27 pm - Cardinal, Canada
Revision on 01/13/14

Acid can do this? I have constant heartburn. It gets so bad that I will take 4 Maximum Strength Xanax per day. What is a PPI?

Thanks!

Revision from sleeve to RNY is set for January 13, 2014.

pineview01
on 12/27/12 1:01 am, edited 12/27/12 1:02 am - Davison, MI

Yes, acid reflux can mimic hunger!  This is reported a lot  in VSG patients.  Many here have reported the hunger feeling going away when the acid was gotten under control.

Proton-pump inhibitors (PPIs) are a group of drugs whose main action is a pronounced and long-lasting reduction of gastric acid production. They are the most potent inhibitors of acid secretion available today.

Clinically used proton pump inhibitors:

• Omeprazole (brand names: Gasec, Losec, Prilosec, Zegerid, ocid, Lomac, Omepral, Omez,)
  • Lansoprazole (brand names: Prevacid, Zoton, Monolitum, Inhibitol, Levant, Lupizole)
  • Dexlansoprazole (brand name: Kapidex, Dexilant)
  • Esomeprazole (brand names: Nexium, Esotrex, esso)
  • Pantoprazole (brand names: Protonix, Somac, Pantoloc, Pantozol, Zurcal, Zentro, Pan, Controloc)
  • Rabeprazole (brand names: AcipHex, Pariet, Erraz, Zechin, Rabecid, Nzole-D, Rabeloc, Razo. Dorafem: combination with domperidone[citation needed]).
  • Ilaprazole (brand names: Ilapro, Lupilla, Adiza)

Hope this helps you some!

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active
Recent Topics