Band to bypass stories?

happygrandma
on 12/27/12 2:20 am - Highland, MI
RNY on 12/17/12

Saralynne,

Feeling pretty good today.  The shoulder still hurts but I was able to tie my own shoes today so that's an improvement.  I had my first post-op visit at the surgeons.  Didn't see him (he's on vacation) but met with the nurse and nutritionist.  All is well,  Getting out and moving around more has helped, we went to the store yesterday.  I can only walk so much in the house.

It is majorly different from the lap band surgery - this is much more surgery, the lap band wasn't much.  Probably more like your replacement and hernia repair.  Actually I think it's the hernia repair that is causing most of my pain.

Waterford, that's great,  I'm in Highland.

I'm planning to go back to work on the 2nd.  Don't know that I'll do a full day but can play it by ear (I'm the boss so I can call the shots).  I do taxes so I need to get it together really fast.

You won't need any help at home.  I just had my husband (nobody else living at home which helps).  I could get my own meals, such as they are.  I've been doing a little laundry - only bought two pairs of sweat pants and they stretch out so fast.  He just has to lift heavy stuff and he's good at making his own meals.  And your pre-op sounds pretty easy, mine was only liquids for a week (except for raw veggies which are hard with a band), clear for the last day, no bowel prep.

What hospital are you going to?

Linda

saralynne65
on 12/27/12 9:42 am
Revision on 01/23/13

Hi  Linda,

I'm having my surgery at St. Mary's in Livonia. I wanted to have it at St. Joes in Pontiac but my surgeon says he is more comfortable operating at St. Mary's so I said fine because of course I want him to be super comfortable while operating on me-lol!. I guess it doesn't matter but I would have rather had it in Pontiac.

His practice is so busy, my consult was about a half hour, which I guess is okay as I went on 3 other consults as well so I know the drill but I do feel like the practice is so busy it takes about 24 hours to get a question answered when I call and I'm not happy having the surgery there as opposed to close to home but I have to get this band out before it erodes since it's slipped.

I would be happier with a less "cookie cutter" experience but it is what it is. I believe my surgeon is very good, He is very kind in demeanor, has a good reputation and takes his job very seriously. The psychologist on staff there is AWESOME, just awesome. I can't say enough good things about her.

But the rest of it all so far just seems, "eh". I think maybe all bariatric programs are like this now. It may just be my perception, or the fact that the pre-op class scared me half to death. I've heard tons of good things about bariatric program there and they did get me in soon after I called and let them know I had a band slippage.

We are going on a cruise mid march so I'm a little worried about feeling ok enough to go and have had thoughts about postponing surgery until after but I think that's about 8 weeks afterwards and I should be ok by then-and I just want to get it over with. I guess my husband will have to eat my share of the buffets :0)

Lucky you for no bowel prep! I kind of wondered about that since I'll be on clear liquids  Anyway-oh and I have to take big doses of emycin & neomycin 1000 mg each twice daily the day before surgery along with the bowel prep but they do give a rx for zofran for the nausea that is sure to follow this prep. Just hope I'm still tough enough to deal the recovery but your experience gives me positive feelings about it. I'm sure everyone gets a little nervous the closer their surgery date is. Wish I would have just done the RNY to begin with and skipped the band-but I am not the only one feeling this I am sure!

I'm so glad you are feeling better! I figure when I'm able to walk a little distance I can go to Great lakes crossing and walk the  loop since it's winter it's hard to walk my neighborhood right now.

I'm returning to work 1/2 as well then will be off starting the day before surgery for 4 weeks. How long do you have to stay on liquids before progressing to puree?

Have a great night :0)

Saralynne

happygrandma
on 12/27/12 11:58 am - Highland, MI
RNY on 12/17/12

I started a message here but decided to move it over to the private message part.

(deactivated member)
on 12/30/12 1:06 pm - San Antonio, TX

I had a non-adjustable band in 1998. It was the most miserable 13 years of my life. I finally had my revision to RNY in 2011. The band had completely embedded in my stomach so my surgeon had to cut above the band to create the pouch. Luckily I haven't had any complications and I'm actually under my goal weight. 

teachergirl
on 12/30/12 11:22 pm - Somewhere in, MI

That's awesome to hear. I'm sooo glad good results are achievable.

Shawnie

Starting W: 325 Surgery W:307 Current W: 276.4 Goal W: 165  RNY: 1/17/2013

Gravy02
on 1/13/13 10:08 pm - LA
I am having my band to gastric bypass surgery tomorrow. My doc is doing it in one surgery laproscopic (sp?). I am a little nervous, but I am sloop sick of throwing up! My band slipped and I was having constant heart burn so I decited it was time. I am a little nervous when ever I think about it. I am not scare of the pain or discomfort. It is just the idea that my plumbing is getting rearranged from how we are born.and that it is not natural, but it is needed. I started pre band at 270. With band got to 220. Now at 250 and I'm a 5ft 5in guy. I have a wide muscular build but hurt my back and cannot work out like I need to for my slow matobilism. I want to get myself healthy for the long run. I have a 5yr daughter a d another girl on the way Mar.25th. Am I crazy for doing this. Ow so close to the new baby? I really don't know. I have been working the process since last August and have had a lit of delays between life events and the hollidays. I guess it was good to eat one last Christmas dinner...sorry for rambling.

teachergirl
on 1/15/13 12:44 am - Somewhere in, MI

Good luck on your surgery, I hope it went well! I don't think your crazy, I think you're trying to be there for your family, and this will help you, by the 3rd month, hopefully you'll be fine.

Shawnie

jhaskell48
on 1/14/13 11:30 am - Columbia, MD

I see you have your revision surgery in a few days.  I am hoping for the same.  I met with my surgeon today and looking for support and advice too for my lapband to RNY.

Good luck - just a few days to go on a new journey.......

Joyce

teachergirl
on 1/15/13 12:45 am - Somewhere in, MI

Yes, my revision is in 2 days, I am very excited and can't wait.  However, the nerves are really starting to set in.  I did not get this way with the Band, but prayerfully everything will go off without a hitch.  Thanks for the well wishes!

Shawnie

Most Active