Band to bypass stories?

teachergirl
on 12/15/12 5:05 am - Somewhere in, MI

Anyone care to share their experience? The good the bad and the ugly?

Shawnie

Starting W: 325 Surgery W:307 Current W: 276.4 Goal W: 165  RNY: 1/17/2013

Hislady
on 12/15/12 9:30 am - Vancouver, WA

You may want to post this on the RNY forum too for responses. Good luck to you!

teachergirl
on 12/15/12 9:39 am - Somewhere in, MI

Lol, that's funny, because someone there told me to post here! But I'd already covered my bases and posted in both forums at the same time. But thanks.

Shawnie

Jacquie1
on 12/15/12 9:58 am - Manassas, VA

I had my band out this past Wednesday, 12-12-12.  So basically, my surgeon gave me the riot act talk.  If you do not

permit your band to heal and you eat anything but liquid or things that become liquid in your stomach, for three weeks, you will be in the hospital, it will not be pretty, I will have to clean up the leaks and food you ate so the first three weeks are the most important.  I can't see where anyone could eat anything because the mere smell of it gags me.  I got down some protein and some of my water.  You just keep going little by little.  I am not going to eat anything until my doctor says I can eat pureed foods. 

Jacquie1
on 12/15/12 9:58 am - Manassas, VA

sorry I meant pouch not band

pineview01
on 12/31/12 2:57 am - Davison, MI

So you had a band to RNY in one operation not, just the band removal right?  That is why no food for three weeks and why you are feeling the way you do, right?

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Jacquie1
on 12/31/12 7:23 am - Manassas, VA

Yes he did it laproscopically in one operation.  As for the food, the first week was clear liquids, the second week was cottage cheese, oatmeal, grits, applesauce,yogurt, third week was tuna fish and salmon and 1 or 2 crackers, and to stop any protein liquids.   I am at the end of the third week, and I feel better when I get the protein in.  I tried the Unjury plain in crystal light and it made me quesy.  I am up to about 1/4 to a bit more than a cup of food depending on how moist it is.  I am doing ok, and got a Fit bit for Christmas, so I have been working up to my 10000 steps a day.  The first two weeks, most of the issues was on incision twinged every time I ate, and I have no energy and need to take naps.  Other than this I am making out well.  Weight loss is slower than I would like, but most revisions have this issue.

Jacquie1
on 12/31/12 7:25 am - Manassas, VA

I meant I am up to eating about a 1/4 cup of food or sometimes a bit more.  No way I can do a cup of food.  I am still not feeling hunger much unless I forgot to eat.

teachergirl
on 12/15/12 11:36 am - Somewhere in, MI

Wow! U feel like this,after the removal? 

Shawnie

Jacquie1
on 12/15/12 10:08 pm - Manassas, VA

Well, I dreamed about food last night.  However, when my husband was cooking it, I could have cared less and frankly the smell was making me sick.  As for feeling, I feel full on 2 oz.   I should work up to 4 oz.  However, it is re-training.  I was actually hoping for this kind of reaction, because I want to follow the total letter of the law.  I lost a lot on the band.  The problem was I did it all on my own.  I didn't have a fill until 9 months later because I didn't feel hungry.  I am hoping that I am going to be successful with the RNY and get all the rest of my weight off.  I would have kept the band the problem with it is that if it filled I throw up and then eat slider foods and gain weight.  I had better results with no fill.   However, since I had a prolapse I had to have it out.  For anyone going for the revision, you really have t look at your own health, your own eating style, because if you don't follow the rules you will gain the weight back.  If you remember, don't drink 30 minutes before a meal, eat protein first, and dont' drink 1 hour after a meal, you will lose the weight.  Your stomach as to be retrained and so does your brain.  If you do not get the signal to the brain that you are full due to not letting the pouch slightly stretch because you drank something, then you need to think about why you are doing the surgery.  I darn well intend to be as compliant as I can get because this surgery was hard on me.  I am in some pain, the first two days in the hospital were rough and I do not want to return to the hospital. 

Most Active