what happened to my pouch?

jzwife
on 1/17/13 3:58 am

I went for an upper GI and a CAT scan today and they couldn't even see my old pouch from my RNY 6 years ago. The Dr said

everything was going into my bypassed stomach and into the bypassed intestine . They know there is a fistula because the dye

was going into both intestines and large stomach but could barely see the small pouch. I was hoping the fistula would be small

enough that they could repair it until I could do a revision but not sure that is going to happen now. I will be doing an EGD next

Tuesday unless they have what they need from these 2 tests. Has anyone ever had this happen? I know its not real common but

would love to hear if anyone has had any experiences  along the same lines.

Thanks

Sharon

MsBatt
on 1/17/13 5:19 am

Sounds like your fistula is quite large, and your pouch has atrophied from lack of use. In fact, your stoma may have scarred to the point of being closed, diverting all your food through the fistula and into your remnant stomach

jzwife
on 1/19/13 2:20 am

I have a feeling you are right Ms Batt. My stomach filled up very quickly when I drank the barium and the radiologist was very surprised at how quickly it filled. When I  had the EGD done several years ago they couldn't even find the  stoma altho fluids do slowly run thru it. I am having another EGD done on Tues. They wanted to glue the fistula but my guess is that its either too large or the old pouch doesn't exist. Thank you for your insight. I appreciate your thoughts.

MsBatt
on 1/19/13 3:08 am

I had a bowel obstruction when I was 7.5 years out. Fortunately, it resolved on its own, but my surgeon recommended I have an colonoscopy and an upper GI follow-through. It was VERY interesting seeing that stuff. (*grin*)

Dolores L.
on 1/18/13 11:31 pm - FL
Revision on 08/14/12

I have a friend who had a fistula develop, but sounds like his was smaller because he had dye through both. His problem was an ulcer and they found the fistula while working him up for that (he was taking NSAIDs)

Good luck to you. Hope you can get it revised. 

jzwife
on 1/19/13 2:22 am

Thanks Delores. I know that Fistulas are very uncommon- I was told by the surgeon that about 1% of those having RNY actually get those. Did your friend have his repaired or did he have a revision?

Dolores L.
on 1/19/13 11:23 am - FL
Revision on 08/14/12

Since his fistula was not huge, and at the time it was discovered he was being treated emergently for the ulcer, they did not repair it. He's doing fine without any further intervention. The ulcer was life threatening. It came without warning and almost did him in. He will never take nsaids again, nor will I.

Most Active
Recent Topics