bummed or EGD results

jzwife
on 1/22/13 12:10 pm

Went for my EGD today . The Dr. said he was a little stunned- he had never seen anything like it. My pouch is pretty much gone-the jujenam has a hole just large enough for small amounts of fluid to go thru. Everything else is going into my bypassed stomach via the fistula and its way to large to repair. He was going try to glue the fistula and if it was too large they have an apparatus called a bear claw that they can use to cinch it off. It was too big for even that. I was disappointed but kind of knew it all along based on the other tests I had done over the years.. I will be seeing the surgeon tomorrow to see where we go from here. I will be discussing what type of revision I need or just what is best for me.blush

Heather V.
on 1/24/13 9:19 pm

Hi, I'm just starting to explore the possibility that something may be wrong with my original surgery, and I'm just wondering if you can tell me what a fistula is?  Im almost 9 years out, and I recall from about 5 years ago, while having my gall bladder removed the doc mentioning something about a small amount of gastric juices in my old stomach....do you know if the 2 are related? Sorry I don't have anything to help you other than words of encouragement....Good luck, and hang in there!!

MsBatt
on 1/25/13 12:41 am

A fistula is a passage between two or more organs that shouldn't really be connected. In terms of the RNY, it's a connection between the pouch and the remnant stomach that allows food to go into the old stomach, sort of short-circuiting your restriction. They're not at all common, though.

Not a doctor here, but I'd think having some gastric juices in the old stomach would be fairly normal. The stomach tissue is still producing gastric juicces, which travel down your BPD limb and mix with your food below the 'Y'.

LadyKatarina
on 1/25/13 2:15 am - Harrisburg, PA

Answer about what the normal job of the bypassed stomach, taken from sasseguide.com by Dr. Kent Sasse:

"The short answer is that the bypassed stomach remnant continues to do its usual job, namely the production of digestive juices and enzymes, as well as jobs involving the production of hormones or chemical signals to the body and the brain.  The one job that it no longer does is the acceptance of ingested food."

It sounds like your bypassed stomach is doing exactly what it is no longer supposed to do!  I am so sorry...I can only imagine how frustrated you are by this unique problem.  Good luck in your appointment tomorrow.  Since this is not a situation your Dr. has seen before, you may wish to consider getting a second opinion, as long as this situation isn't urgent..keep us posted!

Kat

4/20/01 Original RNY Gastric Bypass   Start weight - 340  Lowest weight - 155

1/18/13  Revision - Laparoscopic removal of blind limb  - Start Weight 195

pineview01
on 1/25/13 11:34 am - Davison, MI

Your the second one I have seen post about this issue.  I had never heard of it before the other person. 

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active
Recent Topics