Scheduled VBG Revision to Gastric Bypass in Feb.

nikkim102
on 1/31/13 12:45 am

Just got my scheduled surgery date for middle of Feb.  Had VBG 15 years ago & now am revising to GB. Am getting very nervous as I have heard so many stories of slower weight loss after a revision surgery. Also am really dreading the all liquid pre surgery phase of 2 weeks. Hoping I can stick w/ it.  Any suggestions, help, advice. ????

Dolores L.
on 2/6/13 10:26 pm - FL
Revision on 08/14/12
I had a VBG to RNY revision in August 2012. From starting at a weight of 270 and a 5'8" height, I've lost 63# as of my last weigh in - which was several weeks ago. (I hate to weigh frequently, preferring to bask in the glow of shrinking in my clothes.) My goal is ~155, but my surgeon said 175 would be more reasonable. Of course my weight loss was greatest the first 3 months and has slowed down. At my last visit with the surgeon in January, I was frustrated (58# at that point) but they were really happy with my loss and told me I was ahead of the curve. They set my goal at "less than 200" by the next visit in April. I left the office feeling MUCH better.

I tend to compare my loss to the folks on the RNY forum, and that is not always good, mentally. The "virgin" RNYs do lose faster, it's just a fact. My advice when and if you feel discouraged, is to look back at yourself, not anyone else. I go through my old photos and I really can't believe how much better I look now. And I feel fantastic! If I exercised more, I would lose faster. My surgeon wants me on my eliptical or walking 30 min a day, but I'm lucky to get 15 min in 3 x per week. I just keep plugging along and trying not to make excuses for my laziness (I'm very busy at work in the winter... BUT...)

I have a hard time looking at myself in the mirror and seeing the thinner me, but I'm getting better at focusing on the good spots and not looking at the bulges and bumpy parts. I'm still far from goal and my weight loss has slowed down, but every day I'm trying to live today for today.

Finally, I am SO SO SO happy I had this done. I would do it again, if suddenly transported back in time with the knowledge and experiences I have had along the way thus far. Please feel free to contact me anytime you need support or someone to talk to! I'm not on here all the time, so if you message me, I'll give you my email address

Dolores

Most Active
Recent Topics