Three questions!

Srg2
on 2/26/13 12:10 pm - CA

MY revision from Lapband to RNY is scheduled for March 15. I have a few questions:

1.  I know hair loss is a common issue - does that mean my hair wont grow either?  Does getting enough protein in help with this?

2. What are the chances surgeon goes in to remove band and there is too much scar tissue to do RNY?  He said that is a possibility and he may have to do VSG.  I really want the RNY but I am worried this will be an issue.  Since I have HMO, if this proves to be true, will he have to stitch me up and wait for insurance to approve VSG?

3. Is it true revision people lose much slower?  I haven't had any fluid in my band for months, but I still puke at times after eating...so I am not eating full portions but more than I would when band was working properly and I could keep a fill without being sick.

Thanks!

Ema

smileyjamie72
on 2/26/13 1:29 pm - Palmer, AK

Have you checked into the DS?  Since you already have your approval, if you do wish to change your mind, you can also change surgeons.

DSFacts.com

You owe it to yourself to do some research to know that the RNY is the best option YOU.  After all, you have to live with it the rest of your life, right??  The RNY failed me.

With the RNY you can NEVER EVER take NSAIDS again.  With the DS you can.  When I got my RNY, I did not even know the DS exsisted.  And I did not have a home computer in 2000 and 2001 when I was doing my research.  In addition, my surgeon did not DO the DS, so I was never told about it.  Hindsight is 20/20.

Hair loss is a common issue.  It can be from the "shock" of surgery and anesthia.  EVERY time I have surgery (I have had 5) my hair falls out and thins.  BUUUUUUTTTTTTT, it does grow back!!!!

Skilled surgeons should not have a problem removing the band and doing the other procedure.  Depends on the experience of the surgeon you chose.

Yes, revisions do lose slower, but your guts have not been rearrange before, so you should do well.  Since I revised from RNY to DS, I am losing MUCH slower since my guts have already been tricked once, lol!!!!

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

Srg2
on 2/26/13 11:52 pm - CA

Thanks for the replay.  I looked into the DS but the MD who performs it in this area isn't allowed by my insurance.  I fought and fought that one but lost so I have to stick with the RNY. 

smileyjamie72
on 3/2/13 1:34 pm - Palmer, AK

I do not understand what your reply said.  I am confused.

"but the MD who performs it in this area isn't allowed by my insurance."  What???  So, find another surgeon!!!!

DO NOT FEEL STUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!  You have to live with this for the rest of your life!!!!!!!!

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

Srg2
on 3/2/13 11:44 pm - CA

No surgeon that performs DS is on my insurance network.  None.  Zilch.  I have already looked into it. 

who knows
on 2/27/13 1:13 am

hi, i wanted to jump in on this after reading your reply.  Can you tell me how your rny failed? how long ago did you have it? i ask as i had mine in 2001 and it has failed me and I currently have many health issues.  I am trying to get back on track and waiting for lab work to come back to see if there are any other issuse, defiencies.  a revision is the last thing i want but i might have to.  I also wanted to ask you about nsaids statement.  Again, due to the many health issues i have had i have been put on nsaids a few times for arthritis ect.....i have ALWAYS listed my gastric bypass on my paperwork so whoevr i am seeing will know that i have had it.  When I have taken them for my bone and joint pains they dont seem to work.  is this because of the gastric bypass? thank you.

thinlizzie12
on 2/27/13 3:03 pm - KS
DS on 01/24/13

I had a revision from Band to DS 5 weeks ago. I have lost more with the DS than the crapband......cannot tell you about the hair loss ..yet. I had the band for almost 6 years. Doc said I didn't have any scar tissue,,thank God....and I was surprised about that bc I vomited for a few years....and still lost only 20 lbs. In my case the wt loss has been steady and fast with the DS. How much have you lost with the band? That may have something to do with it plus a true revision would be RNY to DS or VSG to DS. At least that is what I read somewhere on here. I truly believe that with the band.....there was no cutting involved and then went to one that was. 

I didn't have anything in my band for 5 months before my revision. And yes I still puked... 

Lisa Tucker
on 3/2/13 6:57 am - Streator, IL
Revision on 04/19/13

I can't answer #2 and #3, but even when I had the lapband done in 07, they were recommending Bioten to help prevent some hair loss. I am planning my revision in April, and I have already started taking it.

LISA 

Srg2
on 3/2/13 7:21 am - CA

Yes I started Biotin about 2 months ago...it has made my hair grow so fast! 

pineview01
on 3/2/13 10:41 am - Davison, MI

1.  Our NUT say if you get enough protein you won't but she is crazy.  I was eating 80-100+g protein for months before the band came out and after also and at 3 months it started shedding.  I have been taking Biotin and the new hair was coming in great.  Bad thing is I had the sleeve 4.5 months later so soon I will probably be bald.  I had thick hair but, two surgeries in 4.5 months is to much.  I saw my scalp yesterday.  Downing as much protein as I can along with the Biotin.

2. My surgeon has done many revisions from bands.  He does it in two surgeries to reduce complications. He spent the first 45 minutes fixing the damage from the band before starting the sleeve.  (waiting lets the scaring soften and the weak area from the band heal.)  I've heard of more people going in for a band to sleeve and coming out with a surprise RNY than the other way.  Usually due to erosion.  I have never heard of them stitching up and waiting for a insurance approval.  I sure wouldn't be afraid of waking up with a sleeve.  They have about the same 5 year results.  I also had a much better recovery than my roomie with her virgin RNY.  I ended up taking care of her.

3. I have heard that revision people lose much slower than virgin surgery.  I would think some of that would depend on regain and starting weight.  I am losing much slower than my surgery Month group but, I was at 4 weeks to my band al l time low.  I also started at much lower bmi than the rest of the group.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active
Recent Topics