Complications -- Anyone had the same thing??

JulieIND
on 3/25/13 12:47 pm - Indianapolis, IN

I had MGB surgery done almost seven years ago.  I have had zero complications up until about eight months ago.  I started having difficulty keeping food down, especially meats.  I went to the ER several times and they said I needed my gallbladder removed.  So off to the surgeon I went to have it taken out.  After that, I was still having the issues of keeping food down.  After I ate, I would be in excruciating pain for hours until I finally vomited.  I then went to a GI doc and he diagnosed me with a stricture.  My stomach/intestine connection was so tight he could barely pass the scope.  So he has dilated my connection six different times with no luck. 

I am so upset over this whole thing.  I can hardly eat anything and have lost more weight than I care to.  The weight loss surgeons around here don't want to touch me because they don't do the MGB and the surgeon who originally did my surgery left the state and went back to practicing general surgery.  So I'm pretty much left out on my own unless I want to spend $18,000 out of pocket to go to Florida to have it possibly fixed. 

I know there probably aren't many on here who have had the MGB, but has anyone had anything similar happen to them?  The doctor I talked to in Florida said I need to have a takedown and revision done. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

jzwife
on 3/25/13 4:19 pm

I'm not sure what a MGB is- mini gastric bypass? I had the RNY with something similar. My opening from the small pouch into the intestine almost completely sealed itself off forcing my pouch to look for other avenues for my food to go into creating a fistula (reattaching itself to the old stomach.) Whenever I would have an endoscopy they would try and find where my opening was and it was no where to be found. They had even thought about going in with an endoscope and detaching the fistula and then gluing it shut. Since the opening was almost completely closed off and the fistula to big it couldn't be done. Thats when I decided I needed to do a revision. They took down my old RNY and gave me a DS and I am so happy I did it.

I know your issue isn't a weight issue but the need to get some nutrition in. There has got to be someone out there who can give you some very sage advice. I'm sorry I don't have any advice but just wanted to share that there are things that do go wrong. If I hadn't had the fistula I would have ended up with a stricture because the food has to go somewhere.

I hope you find your answers and the help you need to figure this al out.

wishing you well

Sharon

JulieIND
on 3/25/13 4:25 pm - Indianapolis, IN
Thank you so much for your reply!! Yes, it is the mini gastric bypass. I have been thrilled with it up to this point, but now I'm starting to second guess my decision. I don't know what they could revise me to, maybe a sleeve bypass. I'm just hoping someone can do something for me because eating soft foods and liquids is getting old
airforcemom324
on 3/28/13 4:09 am - MI

my name is sheryl i live in MI i need a revision same issues as u seems like. i had lap rny 10yrs ago i was 298 am now barely 125 tops my bmi in 18  i am 5ft8.5 any help thoughts anything. i am seeing my doc 4/1 going from there InshaAllah (god willing) a revision i eat rarely no meat no appetite. dilitation 6yrs ago after great pain for a few yrs many complications that lead to a substance abuse problem. vicodin they love to keep u quiet. but clean 5yrs with the help of a great addiction doc. & alot of faith in god. but too thin. i pray nobody ever has to live this way.i had no comorbidspre surgery just obese. if that wasnt bad enough. i have many issues now but the surgery worked. i have a feeling my pouch is still golfball size. looking for help. i took care of my mother for 4 yrs until her death last july, now i need to take care of myself!. thanks for the time plz any help

airforcemom324
on 3/28/13 2:39 am - MI

we sound alot alike

jzwife
on 3/28/13 6:17 am

Air Force mom- do you have access to military hospitals where they can do a revision? I just had my surgery out at Madigan Army Medical Center. They have 7-8 bariatric surgeons. they have a wonderful program strictly for weight loss patients. There is one surgeon- Dr. Carter who has been a surgeon for 40 years and is phenominal!(sp) he mentioned to me that there are patients who have had to have their surgeries reversed because of too much weight loss. If anyone can do it and do it successfully they can. I hd surgery with Dr Carter and his promise to me was that he would never put my life in any danger. That was huge to me.

Sharon

Most Active
Recent Topics