Revision from MGB to RNY

JulieIND
on 4/5/13 3:34 am - Indianapolis, IN

I posted the same on the RNY board, so if it's a duplicate for some, I apologize.  I just thought I'd cover my bases :)

Hello, everyone! I had the mini-gastric bypass (go ahead, roll your eyes...it's okay.  my doctor did LOL ) about seven years ago. Life up until about eight months ago has been fabulous! I lost over 150 pounds and maintained the weight I wanted to with zero complications. I could eat anything and not get sick. I still had the restriction of my stomach, so I couldn't eat huge amounts, but no food bothered me at all.

So it was a shock to me when about eight months ago I started getting VERY sick after eating about four or five bites of food. They first took my gallbladder out -- that wasn't the issue. Then they thought it was a stricture. They dilated me six times with only minimal success for a few weeks at a time.

I then went to go find my surgeon in Michigan, but guess what -- he's gone! I've been in contact with other surgeons who perform this and they say it's an ulcer, but my GI doc scoped me six times and saw nothing, not even irritation. They still say he missed it. LOL Whatever...

I have consulted with the surgeon who did my gallbladder removal who is also a WLS here. He is great. I feel very, very comfortable with him, always have. So he said he will have to convert my MGB to a RNY. Now we have to see what insurance will say because they didn't pay for the original surgery.  Fingers crossed!  I did look at the VSG, but my surgeon said it would be very risky to convert to that with the way the MGB is set up.   

I don't know how all this is going to go. I am at my goal weight and don't want to lose anymore, but I can't imagine I'll be able to eat much originally after surgery. If I go back to liquids/soft foods for a month, I'm surely going to lose weight. Anyone have any tips for me to follow right after surgery? The diet I had after surgery was completely different than the RNY diet, so it'll be a learning process. I just can't believe I have to go through all of this again after being so happy for six years. Ugh....

Most Active
Recent Topics