Had revision from VBG (10 YEARS AGO) TO Roux-en-Y‎

J. W.
on 9/24/13 4:24 am - Pittsburgh, PA

Hi. I had a VBG in 2003. Last week I had a revision to Roux-en-Y.

I suffered for YEARS after my VBG. It was time to do something. My weight loss was initially 200 lbs but I was super big back then 480. I gained some weight back during the decade of post VBG  years (probably due to liquid calories cuz I sure as HELL couldn't hold food down - and it was NOT due to overeating or eating the 'wrong' things - sometimes a sip of water had me vomiting) - so mainly I was going in for revision to be 'normal' - although something tells me that will never be. Some days I could eat normal other days I couldn't hold down a bite of Oatmeal. Regardless it took a decade, my again, I am post op.

Had my drainage tube taken out today SUCH A RELIEF. I've been on clear liquids for 10 days and I lost 1 lb. Weird I thought, but nurse explained it's liquid retention and I will notice a difference in the next couple of weeks. Not that I did this for weight loss primarily, but it will be nice to drop another 150 lbs. which would put me at: 150. I am fine with being 'around' that number.

Feeling stronger the past couple days although the hospital stay was ROUGH, ROUGH, ROUGH. Doc says he had to 'dissect' that old band out of me that was eroding into my tissue. Yuck.

I walk every day and in the next 3-4 days I am to introduce soft foods slowly. Doing the whole Vitamin thing.

Glad it's over. Praying for better outcome. Anyone else out there been through this? Any advice from anyone? I'd love to talk to someone!

Lisa O.
on 9/24/13 5:50 am - Snoqualmie, WA

I'm praying for you to have a speedy recovery.  Sounds like you've been through a lot.  I had my band for 4.5 years and the removal was a cinch, but mine hadn't eroded!  Terrible! 

I'm having my RNY surgery on the 14th and hopefully it will be a little smoother since my band was removed in May.  You're lucky though to be able to introduce soft foods so soon.  My surgeon requires 3 weeks of liquids post op!

Take care and I look forward to hearing when you reach your goal!  

Lisa O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

(deactivated member)
on 9/25/13 11:50 am

I'm right behind you! no date yet, but I'm def. getting this band out. I'm so sorry your struggling through recovery! hang in there!!!!

pineview01
on 9/25/13 1:52 pm - Davison, MI

Glad to hear you got that eroded band removed and are now on your way to recovery.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active
Recent Topics