Debating whether to re-sleeve

JanelG
on 10/18/13 10:58 am - Canada

I'm 3 years post-op, reached my goal, but in the last 7 months or so, I've started regaining and I can eat I full meal like I did pre-op. I talked to my surgeon and he said I need to be "re-sleeved".  I really don't want another surgery, but  I afraid if I let it go too long, I'll regain all my weight and be right back where I started!!   Can I just shrink it on my own? Does 5-day pouch test really work, or is my stomach stretched and can only return to the nice "post-op size"  with a re-sleeve?? 

Any experiences?  I thought my sleeve would be life long and not stretch fully!  So disappointed :(

Ladytazz
on 10/18/13 12:52 pm, edited 10/18/13 12:52 pm

Are you eating large amounts of food or is it the kind of food you are eating.  If it is volume are you getting hungry frequently?  Can you be satisfied with smaller amounts of food?  I found that in addition to being able to eat a lot I was eating a lot of refined carbs that just caused me to get hungry faster and to crave more of them.  Have you had an EGD to see how big your sleeve is now?  I wouldn't be in a big hurry to be resleeved unless it was absolutely necessary as resleeving carries a bigger risk of leaks.  

Also, as far as the 5 day pouch test goes, as far as I can see the only benefit isn't in shrinking your sleeve as much as it is in decarbing and detoxing from the carbs.  Starting all over again with a new post op diet can be a help if it gets you out of the habit of eating a lot of refined carbs.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

airbender
on 10/19/13 8:07 am

you are not the only one who has thought of that, many of us have....do you know that the vsg doubles in capacity by the 2nd year? sucks i know,  re-sleeving is actually a dangerous surgery...be careful..Yes we eat more, volume and .I think we start to add carbs via way of easy absorbable stuff, and we get into trouble....

good luck to you

MsBatt
on 10/19/13 9:04 am

What sort of revision did you have? Do you have just a Sleeve, or do you have a full DS? Re-Sleeving has a higher risk of leaks than does a virgin Sleeve, so that's something to think about. If you have a stand-alone Sleeve, you might also want to think about adding the Switch to give you a full DS as opposed to getting re-Sleeved. With the malabsorption of the DS, you actually need a larger Sleeve than with a stand-alone Sleeve.

pineview01
on 10/19/13 11:49 am - Davison, MI

Agree!  Changing to a full DS is stated safer than a re-sleeve.  

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

(deactivated member)
on 10/22/13 12:13 pm

A great deal depends on how big your sleeve is now.  If they have to cut through the staple line there is more risk.  But if your sleeve is so big they just remove that portion of your stomach a resleeve is safer than a revision to DS.

JanelG
on 10/23/13 10:36 am - Canada

I do have a sleeve plus DS, but because I wasn't that much over the minimum BMI requirement, my surgeon didn't bypass very much of the duodenal limb (so he did the bare minimum as far as absorption of fats is concerned). 

I have been eating carbs... Fell back into old habits when my husband moved out June 2012. I gained weight from the stress and I am having a hard time getting back on track. Part of me wants the "easy" way out, but I know I will be back here next year anyways if I don't control the junk food.

i HATE being a slave to food!!   It's an addiction for me like many others struggling with drugs or alcohol. 

Thanks for the reality check guys :))

(deactivated member)
on 10/29/13 5:23 am - Wiesbaden, Germany
DS on 10/08/13

You have valuable information here, particularly from Ms. Batt and lbd1065. 

My two cents: go to a surgeon who is well versed in the DS (not just the sleeve) because you're likely to be a better answer which is tailored to your situation.

I have no idea whether or not your surgeon does the DS.

Most Active
Recent Topics