Have a DS, not losing weight but may have to lengthen common channel??

Evoll_grll
on 11/7/13 4:13 pm - Salem, OR

I have a long weird story. I had my DS surgery in 2009 (4 years ago) and it was very sucessful. lost over 200 lbs, and was happy. I was still loosing, albeit slowly, ended up pregnant. The pregnancy went well, except the nasia, vomiting daily, and severe pain in my gut... oh, and gas and diarrhea so bad i didnt leave teh house much. Now since I gave birth I have fluctuated between 215 and 230. I diet and diet and cant lose the weight, I have pain in my stomache and sides, and serious gas issues. I had several tests done, and today at the surgeon they said they think there is a fissure...  and my stomache is directly connected to my mid colon. They also want to lengthen my common channel from 150cm to 200cm. I have more testing (not sure what yet) and go back in 2 weeks to discuss surgery options. I know this is something i need to talk more about  with my new surgeon (as this is not the same one that dd my DS originally, and today was the first day we met). But i thought I would ask here as well. I dont understand how, if my intestines are being surpassed, that I am still gaining weight and struggling like I did before surgery. I'm also scared if they lengthen my common channel then I will end up even bigger than I am now. Why did I do this if not to be at least overweight and no longer obese?  I was just on the middle of the "overweight" catagory,  as of today, I am mid obese and it makes me sad....   at my lowest I was 178..  I posted in the DS bourd as well, but thought I would post here too..  thanks for any info you may have.

HW / SW / CW / GW          404 / 355 / 235 / 180

Ladytazz
on 11/8/13 2:30 pm

I sent you a message but I had a 100 cc and regained 100 lbs.  I had a large sleeve and was constantly hungry and ate a lot of crap.  No matter how much malabsorption you have if you eat more calories then you burn then you will gain weight.  I had no illusions about the fact that I was eating too much but I did remember when I did cut back on the carbs and limited my eating I still lost very slowly and couldn't get under 150 no matter how little I ate.  I remember feeling kind of cheated because I thought having malabsorption would give me an edge and help me lose even more weight then I would have without it and that wasn't the case.

Anyway I did have my common channel lengthened from 100 cc to 200 cc due to a lot of the issues you are talking about.  I had chronic intestinal bacterial overgrowth.  Some DS people (and other WLS, as well) just have that problem and there really isn't much you can do about it.  I was on Flagyl and probiotics so many times my doctor refused to prescribe it any more for fear of becoming antibiotic resistant.  It always came back.  The day I had my revision was the last time I had that problem.  Now I fight constipation.  As far as weight loss goes, my sleeve was also revised to a RNY pouch and restriction has been a lot better for me then malabsorption.  I lost more weight then I ever expected and got lower in weight then I have ever been in my life, not exactly on purpose.  I still wouldn't mind a few more pounds but I am maintaining pretty effortlessly as long as I avoid sugar and things with glutton.  Restriction has been a better tool for me and in hindsight probably would have been a better option but in 2002 they weren't doing the sleeve by itself and nothing in the world could have made me get the lap band so I guess it worked out the way it was supposed to.

Good luck to you and put your health first and things will work out.  Don't be afraid of a longer common channel as long as you have restriction you should still be fine.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Most Active
Recent Topics