Upper GI & "adoption fee"

Laura73
on 11/14/13 11:21 am

Filled out health history online with new potential surgeon. He's ordering upper GI before seeing me. If I recall from my post sleeve and ERCP sick days, I vomited the barium and fizzy stuff. Fingers crossed that won't happen. I'm having it done in morning and planning to work that day. Anyone with recent experience have advice if this is reasonable? 

I was told by surgeon's staff that they charge a $300 " adoption fee" since I'm coming from another surgeon. I can come up with the money but that weirded me out. I can see potential cost in doing work up or getting old med records but a flat rate fee to "adopt" me sounds odd. Anyone experience this? It sounds like I'm being fined for having a crap surgeon the first time. 

This is a roller coaster in my mind and I'm scared I'll be told it's my fault or that I'll fail again or that I'll get deathly I'll again or be awake during surgery again. I'm probably hypersensitive about the "adoption" but I also want to trust my instincts this time around. 

pineview01
on 11/14/13 12:49 pm - Davison, MI

I would ask what all the fee covers.  Does is cover the cost of having your records copied and sent to them or will you have to pay those on top of the fee.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Laura73
on 11/14/13 8:51 pm

Good idea. I'm in a very emotional rather than logical place right now. Usually I ask lots of questions whether it's at the doctor or buying a new appliance. Thanks. 

motomama
on 11/14/13 10:28 pm - TX
RNY on 09/06/13

When I was looking for a new lapband "home" prior to my revision, I couldn't find a surgeon to take me.  My lapband doc moved suddenly out of state.  Then I finally found a surgeon that was specializing in revisions.  I agree with what was posted about medical records being copied and transferred...that can be expensive. 

I am a 42 year old mother of 3 who is 5 feet tall and trying to beat the odds of my inherited medical history.  Taking things one day at a time.  Banded in 2008, revised to RNY 2013

ebonymc
on 11/15/13 9:33 am

I had to pay a 500 dollar adoption fee. For me, It basically covers my psych eval, and both pre and post op support group meetings. My original surgeon moved away also, and It was more difficult for me not to have support meetings.

deannag70
on 11/16/13 3:27 am - Grapevine, TX
Revision on 10/21/13

I know if the D/FW area, most doctors do charge a fee to change to them and it is not an allowable charge by insurance so it is out of pocket.

Laura73
on 11/16/13 4:43 am

Thanks for letting me know that it's a common practice here. 

Laura73
on 11/22/13 12:03 pm

Quick update: I had upper GI this week. Barium is yuck but I did not throw up on anyone. I requested the images to take to surgeon appt in 2 weeks. My "sleeve" looks like a regular (maybe slightly smaller) stomach with a couple bulges. May have true validation that I wasn't really sleeved. Looking forward to appt and surgeon's explanation. Trying to look forward and not back at cir****tances that I believe led to inadequate stomach removal in the first place. Thanks again for all your replies. 

Most Active
Recent Topics